Community discussions

MikroTik App

vrobert
just joined
Topic Author

Point 2 point connection between 2 sites

Tue May 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Hello all,
I want to realize a point 2 point connection between two sites, which are approx. 1 km far away. Basically there is no any obstacle on the path, no trees, no buildings, but there should be lot of other wireless networks in the air.
For this I need some advice.
I am sure that I want use Mikrotik devices, as I have a good experience with them in home router class (RB951, RB751 and so on). I have good network knowledge, mostly with Cisco and Brocade devices, but any experience with wireless links. Which devices should you recommend for this?
My pick would be GrooveA 52HPn on both sides, but I am not sure what kind of antennas to use and how to align them. But I am open for any other soultion, feel free to advise anything else.
Thanks for help for everybody, it is really appreciated.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Point 2 point connection between 2 sites

Wed May 07, 2014 3:37 pm

You don't need Groove for this distance. This assumes you will use some external antennas which is not needed here and will make it more expensive.
Focus on the SXT line of devices. For this distance their integrated antennas are more than enough and you will also have dual chain radios and you will achieve 100mbit/s link at a very good price.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Sxt would be my first option. But if you expect heavy noise, you should use parabolic antenna with side shielding. But check the noise level first at both places.

vrobert
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2014 9:16 pm

I had a deeper look on SXT-s, and they seems to be great, also they are pretty cheap.
There are different versions, which one to prefer? Basically I can afford two G-2HnD or 5HPnD without problem.

To the noise - in the village when I want to use them, are 2 ISPs providing connections via similar technologies (mostly Mikrotik and Ubiquity as far as I know), so there is a chance of heavy noise, but I agree, there is needed to test it out to get any conclusion.

To checking the noise level - preferably I would do it on a laptop with connected Wi-Fi dongle with some external antenna, and some measuring software (I know perhaps InSSIDer). What do you think? Any of your experience regarding this?

Thanks for your answers!

Trackboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 07, 2014 10:03 pm

It is depending on your required bandwith, i have got an 1 km Sxt-Lite5 link in a very noisy environment, signal strenght around is -60dBm, but the speed is very fluctuating, i have never reached stable speed so far with internal Proftp server that is running on Ubuntu 12.04.

I am sure in less noise environment the speed should be around 100 Mbit/sec.
According to my experience the Sxt devices enough up to 3 km.