Community discussions

MikroTik App

smhula
just joined
Topic Author

HotSpoto Limited Connection

Wed May 21, 2014 12:01 am

Hi everyone, i'm very new to Mikrotik world, but have some time with Unix, Linux, cisco and windows.

Well what happens is i have activated a hotspot and limiting the user by download size,
All works fine and the controls works fine as well (i'm writing connected to it now),
but there's two computers that can't connect through the hotspot, it keep get's the IP from the DHCP Server correctly
but it can't redirect the page to the login, it keep failing when trying to do that.

consequently the windows keep saying "Connected but No Internet Access"
how can i work this out, if you could send a link with information i would be glad, or if any one have faced and solved this issue please help.

If this was already discussed please point me to the link

Regards

scotthammersley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: HotSpoto Limited Connection

Thu May 22, 2014 10:16 pm

You can try a couple of things. First make sure that nothing is interrupting the connectivity of the hosts to the hotspot. Then try bypassing then hosts and see if they get online. If there are still not online at that point, you know its not the hotspot and that its some other type of networking issue. We see this all the time, when we are expecting a client to be connected properly, but they really are not. Once they are bypassed, troubleshoot like it is any other network connectivity problem. Once you have it working, remove the ip binding and try authenticate them again.

smhula
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 24, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi scotthammersley,

Thanks for being there to help us with routerOS (It has been a very impressive learning experience for me because of people like you)

i have managed to do what you said (bypass), even marked the MAC:IP as static to avoid the computer to pic another ip
while was testing

IP-->Hotspot-->IP Binding
MAC Address: XX:XX:XX....
Server: all
Type: by passed

And and a few seconds after applying this configuration the computer was surfing without any issues,
i have removed the config and it failed again, but i saw something like "Failed to connect with SSL" does it
help on understanding the issue?

Looking forward to hear from you.

smhula
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Scotthammersley,
Thank you for your attention
It seems that my first answer was not published,

In summary I have fixed (make static) the MAC:IP to avoid the computer to get another Address,
Using IP Binding I was able to bypass this machine and after 1 second or 2 of applying the bypass config I was able to surf, and removing this config the issue (no internet connection) got back.

the computer is trying to access http://myhotspot... And Firefox gets SSl related error,
Does it helps on identifying the issue?
It seems that the redirection to login is not happening.

(I have updated the router OS to the news available on mikrotik.com.
Before this configs.)

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards

smhula
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm still fighting with it!
any one had a similar problem? or have a link with information that can help me fixing this?
there's many clients complaining and others a working fine.

smhula
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm still fighting with it!
any one had a similar problem? or have a link with information that can help me fixing this?
there's many clients complaining and others a working fine.

Hi everyone,
Mikrotik took me to a journey that's just on it's beginnings.

I have managed to find a setup that works with the devices that where failing, and it's from a great source of information:
Here is the link for the solution and + some extra tips.

http://aacable.wordpress.com/2011/09/12 ... i-version/
The owner if this blog is a Guru on Mikrotik and other IT stuff, and as other people that have already, I recommend you to visit this blog.
Regards and Good luck.