Community discussions

MikroTik App

jthoele
just joined
Topic Author

Trunking between RB493G and Cisco Catalyst switch - vlan 1

Fri May 30, 2014 10:41 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to configure an RB493G as a wireless AP Bridge with 3 separate networks, with port 1 as a trunk, ports 2-5 as vlan 1, ports 6 & 7 as vlan 3, and ports 8 & 9 as vlan 5.

I currently have the trunk working for vlans 3 and 5 using bridges to join the ports and wireless cards. Where I am having an issue, is that I am unable to configure vlan 1 to trunk from our cisco switches since they are untagged. So to bypass it for now i just have a jumper cable between the two physical networks.

My first question is does anyone no how to pass this untagged vlan 1 to a "vlan 1" bridge from a cisco switch?

Also, is the bridge method the best configuration or is there a better way using the switch chip? and how would I set that up? ports 2-5 are all on one switch chip.

thank you.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Trunking between RB493G and Cisco Catalyst switch - vlan

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Do not create a vlan with id=1 (as it is untagged).
In your "vlan1-bridge" add this filter rule (and enable IP firewall for bridge):

ros code

/interface bridge filter
add action=drop chain=input in-bridge=bri-vlan1 mac-protocol=vlan
This will drop all packets coming into this bridge which are tagged with a vlan id.

jthoele
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:48 pm

So do I add the trunk port to the vlan 1 bridge? or how will the router know to pass the untagged traffic from the trunk port to my vlan 1 bridge?

thanks again

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:32 am

Exactly.
And the above filter rule will ensure there's only untagged traffic in that bridge.
-Chris