Community discussions

MikroTik App

alwi
just joined
Topic Author

3 AP RB912UAG which mode?

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:20 pm

I want to ask You about assistance in configuration. I want to install on store house room 3 AP RB912UAG. Users will be relocated after this store house with manual scanners of diacritic proprietary codes with network 2,4 WiFi. It depends me, in order to it was not lost connection set up during relocation among stations ( hypothetically, ill put ping and i don't want see lost packages). I thought from start, to put AP1, AP2, AP3 to mode AP Bridge on the same chanell and SSID. I know, that modes are else WDS and Repeater. Can anybody help me in which mode could be the best for this AP in that example?
Pawel

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 3 AP RB912UAG which mode?

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:12 pm

I expect they will not be connected mutually so use distinct frequencies and the same ssid. It is not assured that there will be no packet loss during roaming as mikrotik does not support centrally managed seamless roaming as I know so far. But it should not be such prolem for your application.

alwi
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:17 pm

and what You thinking about WDS mode?, i found online instructions for configured microtik as WDS, one of them is WDS (master - AP-Bridge) and second one is station WDS, third one the same situation (station WDS), so in this situation when users going from 1st AP to 2nd, they have still connection from 1st one. But when I mode second and third AP as WDS slave then everyone of them transmit signal (in the same channel and SSID ofcourse), is it ok?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Wds works fine, all devices could be in ap mode so you can serve clients connecting between the aps. Minus is that you share the frequency and retransmitting one thing several times so it is cutting the throughput. when you are covering some area in your possession, use the wire connection from aps to some switch instead wds. Wds is useful when there are no wiring possibilities and you do not need heavy throughput and you do not want to invest into individual ptp links. So my advice: go by wires as much as you can.

alwi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Thank you for your help.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Roaming is more a function of the client than the AP.

In my experience static IP vs DHCP is the ultimate dealbreaker for seamless roaming.

When using DHCP my laptop takes 1-3 seconds to reconnect and pull an IP. When set with a static IP my laptop switched from one AP to another while walking down the road and playing an MP3 through Winamp without a problem. This was years ago using DD-WRT and an old Intel B/G card with roaming set to aggressive. The new cards may perform differently. I haven't tried this in quite a while.