Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ostech
just joined
Topic Author

Help setting up as a local WISP

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:47 pm

My company's local ISP is under threat of closure so the company decided to invest in 100Mb leased line, and would now like to share the bandwidth with six other businesses in a very local area to us.

I am familiar with manufacture and setup of P2P Bridges using MT Router OS, and my company has good network engineers to support the network side of the setup but I am less familiar with PTMP setup and deployment, and am fully aware this is a 'different game' altogether....

1. First and foremost I would imagine the biggest hurdle is how to register as an ISP in the first place? Any advice one where to begin would be greatly appreciated. Fearing the possible red tape. We are located in South Yorkshire, UK.

2.Line of Sight...I am aware of how crucial this is with Point to Point links and would imagine the same would apply for Point to Multipoint. I have already been on Google Earth to measure and went up to the roofline of our offices (about 10m) to take 360 degree pictures. We have clear line of sight to 3 of the businesses but not a clear line of sight to the other 3 as is blocked by a large warehouse and bank of dense trees, so without having to build +20m tower which I don't think we could even get permission for, is this possible?
I COULD reach the other 3 if I 'hopped' from a customer at a midway point, but am unsure, can I reliably provide the customer a 10Mb/10Mb connection this way? Would it effect the performance of other users?

3.Deployment....Sector/s as AP's and more directional CPE's?? Or is it more secure and better performance setting up each customer with PTP bridge to each site? I am aware of OFCOM rules on Band B and Band C so aware of legal frequencies and output powers. Just a little unsure which arrangement provides better performance and security for customer and ourselves??

If anyone has any advice on this or can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Are there companies that can plan this for you? For a fee of course :D

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Help setting up as a local WISP

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:19 am

Hi Ostech

Please call us. This is exactly what we do! :) Not only do we advise and supply WISPs with the equipment they need, we also run Training courses on how to use it. We also run our own WISP so we do quite literally 'practise what we preach'. Do please get in touch and we can save you a lot of grief. :)

Ostech
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi Nest,

Thanks for your reply. At the moment is just in the planning stages (site survey). Would definitely be interested in contacting you for further advice on how to move forward with this. Contact you through LinITX? Have bought boards from you before but didn't realise you guys did WISP planning etc :D

Many Thanks :D

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi Ostech.
Yes, you can contact us via LinITX.com or MultiThread Consultants. See signature below. :)