Community discussions

MikroTik App

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Extend wireless range using wireless range extender

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi all,

this is my firs post in this community, so feel free to correct my if I'm doing something wrong :)

I have a problem in my home network... this is the whole situation:

I have Mikrotik RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN as my main router. Some days ago I bought Linksys RE2000 which I would like to use to extend my wireless network (I would like to share my network with my neighbours).
The whole procedure should be simple (plug-in RE2000 in electric power, go to web interface, connect to my wireless, done), but for some reason this is not working :(

After a while I decided to try extend another wireless network (Router model: Belkin WRTR_159G_v01). I did the same thing as before (plug-in RE2000 in electric power, go to web interface, connect to my wireless, done) and all is working fine. After that I assumed that the main problem is not my RE2000, but my main router (Mikrotik RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN).

Can someone help me to get this extender work with my router? If you need any additional information, please, feel free to ask.

Regards,
Uroš

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Extend wireless range using wireless range extender

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:34 am

anyone?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Does the "extender" give any messages? What is not working, is it not connecting to the RouterBOARD, or the devices that connect to the extender can't reach internet? Please give more info about what is not working

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi,

it seems that the extender can't connect to RouterBOARD.

After I select (on the extender) my wireles (from RouterBOARD) the extender says that the extender is not connected to my wireless.

----
Maybe this can help...

I tryed to connect my old belkin router as AP to mikrotik router and than connect the extender to belkin AP and it works, but I would like to connect the extender directly to my mikrotik router wifi, without any aditional device.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Check RouterBOARD log to see why the other device was not connected. If it even attempted, there will be explanation

semakka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:34 pm

ca you do a /interface wireless export and paste the output here?

cheers

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:20 pm

ros code

admin@MikroTik] > /interface wireless export 
# jun/26/2014 14:15:44 by RouterOS 6.15
# software id = EFKB-U8IW
#
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys wpa-pre-shared-key=password \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=password
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys name=wolfy wpa-pre-shared-key=\
    password wpa2-pre-shared-key=password
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys name=erik wpa-pre-shared-key=\
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-ht-above country=slovenia \
    disabled=no frequency-mode=superchannel ht-rxchains=0 ht-txchains=0 l2mtu=2290 mode=ap-bridge name=\
    "Wolfy Wireless" security-profile=wolfy ssid="Wolfy Wireless" wds-default-bridge=br2 \
    wireless-protocol=802.11
add arp=proxy-arp mac-address=4E:5E:0C:21:A4:8E master-interface="Wolfy Wireless" mtu=1400 name=\
    "Erik Wireless" security-profile=erik ssid="Erik WiFi" wds-cost-range=0 wds-default-bridge=br2 \
    wds-default-cost=0 wds-mode=dynamic-mesh wmm-support=enabled

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:38 pm

also please output of "/log print" after device fails to connect

semakka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:09 pm

have you tried Frequency Mode : reg domain or manual tx power?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:27 am

Bad thing that you didn't ask before you bought the extender. We would suggest to buy a mikrotik device and use wds mode to extend the network. It would work.

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:54 am

@normis: I will do that asap, but currently I don't have access to the building with the extender inside...

@semakka: I tried both

@jarda: Which device do you suggest? Maybe is still time to do this :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 am

Yes, if that device uses WDS, then other vendor devices will most likely not support it, WDS is usually brand specific.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:12 am

Depends on your local situation but for example the rb951 would be good. Using cable instead wifi is highly recommended anyway.

semakka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:06 am

@normis: I will do that asap, but currently I don't have access to the building with the extender inside...

@semakka: I tried both

@jarda: Which device do you suggest? Maybe is still time to do this :)
Most of the time, from my experience, this happens because of security used.
Try without security and take it from there...

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Depends on your local situation but for example the rb951 would be good. Using cable instead wifi is highly recommended anyway.
Cable connection is not an option, because I try to connect 2 houses... see in picture...

In the picture you can see my current situation... the green opiton is currently working, the red option is what I want to do :)
network.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Ok. What throughout are you expecting for devices connected to the repeater? Probably the budget is also important. So why not keep it as it is if it works?

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Ok. What throughout are you expecting for devices connected to the repeater? Probably the budget is also important. So why not keep it as it is if it works?
The working options is just a temporary solution, "Belkin AP" is not mine, so I need to buy a new one if I don't connect the extender directly to "mikrotik router". Buying a new extender or a new AP is not the problem at all, I just wanted to connect the extender directly to "mikrotik router". I that way I would have 1 device less to manage.

When I will have a chance to connect the devices in that way as in the red options, I will post the log results, but the owner of "house 2" is not available right now.

In the meantime can I provide you any additional information?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Ok. I will just write some of my thoughts.

In case I would like to have it as good as possible, I would do this: Buy two L3 devices (5GHz, like SXTLite5 or something similar better with gigabit port) and use it as bridge instead wire that you are not able to run between the houses. In the second house I would use maybe other rb2011. This would be for the case you have really fast internet access or will do the mutual file sharing between the houses (e.g. for backuping...). Use non overlapping channels of 2,4Ghz band in both houses. In this case all the wireless or wired clients in both houses get the maximum.

In case you do not have fast internet access and do not want to mutually backup files or stream HD 3D videos from your fileserver to neighbor's TV, and you do not mind to share the same wifi channel - it means you get more interference and significantly lower connection quality of all devices around both houses - you can put your RB2011 on the window facing to second house and on the opposite window of second house put RB951Ui-2Hnd. Then establish the WDS link between, run virtual APs on both devices (can have different SSIDs and security settings on APs, but wds link have to match), in second house put all ports into bridge together with wds, on your RB2011 set dhcp, nat and everything on the bridge that have the wds link as member too. It will not provide best performance, it could make connection quality problems between some wifi devices, but in general it will work. Hope that 5-10mbit/s for internet access from the second house connected clients will be enough. None can guarantee that it will work faster.

Of course you can do something in between. Use one client device (e.g. SXTLite2) to connect directly to first AP and then set different channel for second AP. You will get less interference, higher speeds and better connection quality - but with 3 devices. And of course not so good as option 1.

So now you can decide...

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:49 pm

this is actually the config used?

ros code

admin@MikroTik] > /interface wireless export 
# jun/26/2014 14:15:44 by RouterOS 6.15
#
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys wpa-pre-shared-key=password \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=password
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys name=wolfy wpa-pre-shared-key=\
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys name=erik wpa-pre-shared-key=\
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-ht-above country=slovenia \
    disabled=no frequency-mode=superchannel ht-rxchains=0 ht-txchains=0 l2mtu=2290 mode=ap-bridge name=\
    "Wolfy Wireless" security-profile=wolfy ssid="Wolfy Wireless" wds-default-bridge=br2 \
    wireless-protocol=802.11
add arp=proxy-arp mac-address=4E:5E:0C:21:A4:8E master-interface="Wolfy Wireless" mtu=1400 name=\
    "Erik Wireless" security-profile=erik ssid="Erik WiFi" wds-cost-range=0 wds-default-bridge=br2 \
    wds-default-cost=0 wds-mode=dynamic-mesh wmm-support=enabled
put full
/int wire export compact;/int bri export compact
results on this forum, for better help...

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:02 pm

First of all, if you want use repeater with 50 meters of distance and with two or more wall between, use:
2ghz-only-g as band and use one channel-width of only 20mhz

if you use wds, use only dynamic without "mesh" because this mode are compatible only between mikrotik,
dynamic only (or static) can be used by other Ubitoyz or TP-toyz vendors.

set ht chain both to 0 and 1

do not use frequency-mode=superchannel because this cause incomppatibility if you set some wrong frequency

I not see frequency on export, if you set country=slovenia , check if the repeater work on same frequency...

For the best compatibilty mode, use only uppercase A..Z, 0..9 and the "-" minus symbol on SSID name. Do not use lowercase letters, special characters or space.

DISABLE TKIP if you use WPA2-PSK, use only aes-ccm

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:16 pm

My congif as you asked:

this is the actual configuration, only the password and macs was changed...

ros code

[admin@MikroTik] > /int wire export compact;/int bri export compact
# jun/29/2014 13:04:51 by RouterOS 6.15
#
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys wpa-pre-shared-key=12345678 \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=12345678
    12345678 wpa2-pre-shared-key=12345678
    12345678 wpa2-pre-shared-key=12345678
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyg country=slovenia disabled=no frequency-mode=\
    regulatory-domain l2mtu=2290 mode=ap-bridge name="Wolfy Wireless" security-profile=wolfy ssid=\
    "Wolfy Wireless" wds-default-bridge=br1 wireless-protocol=802.11
add arp=proxy-arp mac-address=mac-address-1 master-interface="Wolfy Wireless" mtu=1400 name=\
    wds-default-cost=0 wmm-support=enabled
# jun/29/2014 13:04:51 by RouterOS 6.15
#
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=mac-address-2 arp=proxy-arp auto-mac=no l2mtu=1598 name=br1
add l2mtu=1598 name=br2
/interface bridge port
add bridge=br1 interface=eth2
add bridge=br1 interface=eth3
add bridge=br2 interface="ether4"
add bridge=br2 interface=ether5-AP
add bridge=br1 interface=ether6-master-local
add bridge=br1 interface=sfp1
add bridge=br1 interface="Wolfy Wireless"
add bridge=br2 interface="Erik Wireless"
I retried to connect the extender to mikrotik, but it fails again... I checked the log from mikrotik, but noting was logged.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Maybe the problem originates from the two bridges used...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Log is blank - enable logging.

semakka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:10 am

wds-default on bridge br1 but your wlan1 interface is not included in that bridge....

wolfy
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:17 pm

I had some time limitation, so I decided to replace the Belkin AP with another Cisco/Linksys AP - this resolved my compatibility problems with the extender.

Now everything works fine.

Thanks for all yours suggestions... even if I couldn't get this thing work like I desired, I learned some new tricks :)

JHOELIT
just joined

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:11 am

I have the same problem, the tp-link repeater does not work for mikrotik ...

(OmniTik in AP bridge mode) ---> (Repeater Tp-Link) ---> (Laptop Client)

Normal dhcp enters the ip addresses in the laptop, but it does not give me internet and it does not ping the mikrotik ...

it may not be compatible, all are of 2.4GHz frequency.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:18 am

In this case you should ask on tplink forum or support.

silverblue605
just joined

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:56 am

I had a similar issue with my hap mini router. I have different brand of access points connected via LAN.
Just to cover some more area, I bought a MI wireless extender connecting to one of the access points. However wireless clients which connected to extender could not access internet until I delete the ARP definition for their IP addresses.

Solution is to uncheck "Add ARP For Leases" in the DHCP configuration.

Everything is running fine now. I know this is a quite old forum message but I hope some other people having the similar issues may find it usefull.