Community discussions

MikroTik App

gordosmash
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik RB Wireless Throughput + Questions

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Good day Ladies and Gents,

First off im a big Cisco guy.. but before i got deep into enterprise and campus networking im was a previous lover of Mikrotik .

All my wireless bridges use Cisco Aironet 1200 and 1600 series and they work wonderful with no issues (uptime of 2 years), now im relooking at Mikrotik suitable for small to medium companies that cant afford Cisco that i can PoC myself. Does anyone have stats for wireless bridges regarding Mikrotik RB 411 or 433 or whatever you have used with the Mini PCI cards. i really want to see what the actual throughput from behind the access point.

I have used 433 with PCI cards before for clients to connect to and had very good success, again before Cisco.

1. Whats the distance and actual throughput between them like copying a file between sites?
2. Have you had any issues with WDS/MPLS bridges?
3. With your clients - what are the maximum number of clients between sites that are located behind the bridge
4. What are the MTBF on your Mikrotik devices

Ideally looking for a layer 2 / WDS bridge - hoping you guys can bring the fire!

Thanks,
Gordosmash

Kreacher

Re: Mikrotik RB Wireless Throughput + Questions

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:40 am

Hello,
I have used 433 with PCI cards before for clients to connect to and had very good success, again before Cisco.
But this is often not owed to single point, but more then for many different
points in this game. The board, the miniPCI card and the used antenna.

I suggest more to look for a RB433AH, RB433UAH, RB433GL, RB435G or RB953GS-5HnT.
1. Whats the distance and actual throughput between them like copying a file between sites?
Also this is owed to so many points that it would be a real surprise that your results
will matching nearly the same results as we made.
2. Have you had any issues with WDS/MPLS bridges?
Not really by using only MikroTik devices, but mixing up the components
will be bringing many pain in the game related to the HWMP+ protocol used by MikroTik
and this is not compatible to the ordinary HWMP protocol used by other vendors.
3. With your clients - what are the maximum number of clients between sites that are located behind the bridge
This is often owed to the circumstance or more to the used RB type that was be used
for building the WLAN AP.
4. What are the MTBF on your Mikrotik devices
Also this is pointed more to the environment, used outdoor case and the
climatic humidity around the WLAN AP.
Ideally looking for a layer 2 / WDS bridge - hoping you guys can bring the fire!
Please read some line above about the HWMP+ protocol or here shown under the link!
MikroTik HWMP+