Community discussions

MikroTik App

perpetualjon
just joined
Topic Author

Routerboard 1100 / Ubiquiti AP combination not working??

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:19 am

(my test setup)

I'm trying to run a Mikrotik Routerboard attached to an HP ProCurve gigabit switch. From there I plan on attaching multiple Ubiquiti Unifi AP's. In testing, I found that the AP's were running incredibly slow (if at all). I determined that the router was the culprit. If I just pulled a consumer home router, hooked up the Unifi AP to it, things worked fine. Is there a configuration change I need to do to get my Routerboard to work with Unifi AP's? I plan on running much more than just what available ports are found on the router itself so I kinda' need to keep the HP switch in the chain.

Belgarion186
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Routerboard 1100 / Ubiquiti AP combination not working??

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:38 am

I'm trying to run a Mikrotik Routerboard attached to an HP ProCurve gigabit switch. From there I plan on attaching multiple Ubiquiti Unifi AP's. In testing, I found that the AP's were running incredibly slow (if at all). I determined that the router was the culprit. If I just pulled a consumer home router, hooked up the Unifi AP to it, things worked fine. Is there a configuration change I need to do to get my Routerboard to work with Unifi AP's? I plan on running much more than just what available ports are found on the router itself so I kinda' need to keep the HP switch in the chain.
I have 3 Ubiquiti UniFi APs (UniFi 3.2.1) connected for Port 8, 9 & 10 of the MikroTik RB2011UiAS (ROS 6.15) with port 10 providing power via PoE and they all worked as intended so your problem may lie elsewhere.

perpetualjon
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:44 am

Is there some sort of configuration I need to perform for these devices? Setting up VLAN, etc or should they simply connect and go? Do I have to connect them to one of the ports on the router? I'd much rather keep things simple and just attach devices through my switch.

Belgarion186
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:50 am

Is there some sort of configuration I need to perform for these devices? Setting up VLAN, etc or should they simply connect and go? Do I have to connect them to one of the ports on the router? I'd much rather keep things simple and just attach devices through my switch.
They're basically just plug and play. UniFi controller from my PC (Win 7) detected all 3 APs right away and firmware upgrade (from 3.1.x to 3.2.1) worked without any issue too.

The APs should work from your switch too if it's properly configured to allow full traffic flow between them and your RB.

perpetualjon
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:54 am

The APs should work from your switch too if it's properly configured to allow full traffic flow between them and your RB.
Maybe that's the problem. Does that need to be configured? I'm running my WAN through ETH1 and connected my switch through ETH2. All my PC's are running great this way but maybe I need to make a configuration change to allow the AP's to work properly. I'm not sure what you mean by "full traffic flow"...

Belgarion186
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:02 am

Maybe that's the problem. Does that need to be configured? I'm running my WAN through ETH1 and connected my switch through ETH2. All my PC's are running great this way but maybe I need to make a configuration change to allow the AP's to work properly. I'm not sure what you mean by "full traffic flow"...
Try connecting the UniFi to one of the RB2011 ports (within the same switch group as ETH2) and see if it works well. If it does, then I believe the problem could be the configuration on your ProCurve.

"Full traffic flow" is just a generic term implying same subnet w/o firewall rule or VLAN isolation to obstruct communication between the APs and the router.

perpetualjon
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:06 am

Try connecting the UniFi to one of the RB2011 ports (within the same switch group as ETH2) and see if it works well. If it does, then I believe the problem could be the configuration on your ProCurve.
I actually already tried that with no change...

perpetualjon
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:08 am

Honestly, I'm very new to RouterOS. I have made not one change from the out-of-the-box configuration. Are there some basic setup steps I need to perform that I'm missing here? I have assumed that the default configuration of this router was at least good enough to plug and go (and, beyond this problem, this has been the case).

Belgarion186
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:13 am

I actually already tried that with no change...
If a consumer router works but not the RB2011, then I'd re-look at the firewall rules again.

I'm sure there shouldn't be any compatibility issue between the AP and router as it's working fine on mine (same APs, similar router - mine's RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN).

Belgarion186
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:16 am

Try disabling (temporarily) both of the default 'Drop Invalid connection' rules and see if the AP works.

Quindor

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm running a RB2011 with 3 UAP-AC's and a UAP-AC-Outdoor without problems too. One is connected to the RB2011, the others through some 'dumb' Gigabit switches.

But if you say you have not touched the RB2011 configuration, your issue may be there. I have no clue what it does by default... I just erase the config. :P

How exactly have you cabled the RB2011?

Port1: WAN incomming
Port2: To Switch (NAT'ted, DHCP provider, DNS provider)

Your picture would suggest this. And that would seem correct, or at least, that is how I would connect it. Personally I have never used quickset before since I like to know what is going on, and it pays to take the time to learn how it all works. Still, I can understand you wanting to have your problem fixed quickly.

What you could try is creating a bridge of ports 2 and 3,4,5 and connecting the AP's directly to those ports. Normally you would not bridge those ports together but switch them in the RB2011, but that's another step to explain. Make sure port 1 is not part of your bridge! What you need to do after creating the bridge is tell the routerboard your LAN IP needs to be on that bridge and the DHCP server also needs to be changed to the bridge.

Now try to use the UAP's directly on the RB2011 and see if it works. If it does, the problem is centered somewhere around your uplink. If not, it's probably something in the routerboard config.

No worries though, this can work, 100%. Very neat case you have there! :shock: :shock:

perpetualjon
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:35 am

I'm running a RB2011 with 3 UAP-AC's and a UAP-AC-Outdoor without problems too. One is connected to the RB2011, the others through some 'dumb' Gigabit switches.

But if you say you have not touched the RB2011 configuration, your issue may be there. I have no clue what it does by default... I just erase the config. :P

How exactly have you cabled the RB2011?

Port1: WAN incomming
Port2: To Switch (NAT'ted, DHCP provider, DNS provider)

Your picture would suggest this. And that would seem correct, or at least, that is how I would connect it. Personally I have never used quickset before since I like to know what is going on, and it pays to take the time to learn how it all works. Still, I can understand you wanting to have your problem fixed quickly.

What you could try is creating a bridge of ports 2 and 3,4,5 and connecting the AP's directly to those ports. Normally you would not bridge those ports together but switch them in the RB2011, but that's another step to explain. Make sure port 1 is not part of your bridge! What you need to do after creating the bridge is tell the routerboard your LAN IP needs to be on that bridge and the DHCP server also needs to be changed to the bridge.

Now try to use the UAP's directly on the RB2011 and see if it works. If it does, the problem is centered somewhere around your uplink. If not, it's probably something in the routerboard config.

No worries though, this can work, 100%. Very neat case you have there! :shock: :shock:
Ok I'll give that a whirl later today. I've got some learning to do but it's all for the best! Thanks for the compliment on the case. I just wish I could rackmount my cable modem...

Thanks everyone for your help so far!!

kevinbradt
just joined

Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:43 am

are you using hotspot software to connect the mikrotik routerboard router to and what model of routerboard and licence are you using

kevinbradt
just joined

Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:51 am

try using a non managed network switch and connect it to the mkrotik routerboard insted of the hp router and see if that works