Community discussions

MikroTik App

jpillora
just joined
Topic Author

Sierra MC8704 not responding on RB411

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:31 am

Hi guys,

I purchased an RB411U and an RB411UAHR and two sierra MC8704s to use as 3G modems. I've spent the last few days searching for information regarding the setup procedure of this pair and can't seem to get the 3G modem to respond to the routerboard.

I've tried versions ROS 5.3 and 6.1 to no avail. Here are the diagnostics I have available:

In the port menu, the usb2 device (which is the sierra) is only displaying 1 channel, which does conform to the spec which states differents channels for information (3) and data (2):
/port print
Flags: I - inactive
 #   NAME                                                                        CHANNELS USED-BY                                                                      BAUD-RATE
 0   serial0                                                                            1 Serial Console                                                               auto
 1   usb2                                                                               1                                                                              9600
If I try to open a serial session on channel 0, I don't get any response from the device. Similarly, if I try to initiate a ppp-client info I receive:
/interface ppp-client info 0
modem did not respond
I've tried disabling and enabling IP features and rebooting and the card did not appear as an LTE interface:
/port firmware print
              directory: firmware
  ignore-directip-modem: yes
I'm at a loss as to further how to diagnose this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

RogerWilco

Re: Sierra MC8704 not responding on RB411

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:18 am

What data channel are you using?
What does
/port print
say?

jpillora
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Sierra MC8704 not responding on RB411

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi Roger, sorry I never replied. After a day I got impatient and swapped it for a MC7710 (and paid the difference). Working now 3G and 4G :D