Community discussions

MikroTik App

domenicv010377
just joined
Topic Author

AP - PTMP - Packet loss to clients

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Hoping I could receive some feedback and suggested tweaks to deployed AP's recently affected with packet loss issues. We suspect signal levels going degrading as the tree's fill in are the cause, but even new connections with ideal "clear line of sight" drop packets as well. We have tried to narrow it down to weaker connected clients but nothing has been conclusive yet.

Are there any tweak under the wireless interface we can deploy on the AP to help with TDM which we suspect is the cause. I should mention many of our clients are installed with ubnt nanobridges so we are not able to use nv2 or nstream as wireless protocols, only 801.11 protocol.

-Domenic

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: AP - PTMP - Packet loss to clients

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:38 am

To be honest - A lot of the research I did showed that 802.11 is bad for many client + higher throughput and this is the kinda thing that would happen in the end (packet loss etc). This is why at the beginning of my deployment I went with SXT clients so I could use NV2, and also because the client devices are quite a bit cheaper (even if lower powered).

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:09 am

..TDM which we suspect is the cause. ...we are not able to use nv2 ... only 801.11 protocol...
How TDM can be the cause if you are not using it ?

domenicv010377
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:37 pm

I should have provided this information. We have some sites using nv2 and still reports of sites with problems, which I conclude to being because of connection with poor levels and tdm.

We also have other AP's in 801.11 mode with similar problems. I guess I was looking for some direction or to learn if anyone else is having these sort of troubles. Also if there was a fix or tweak to this in the event that a signal quality repair was not easily accomplished.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 pm

The best practice is that you never connect a client with poor signal. In 802.11 you can try cts-to-self protection on AP and rts/cts on CPEs. With tdma protocol the AP assigns time slots to all clients.
But still the main issues - low signals and low ccq will bring down your network until you fix them.