MikroTik App

aresmt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Hotspot network. what AP to use?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi,

I would like to create an hotspot network with Mikrotik equipment, but to be honest, I don’t have to much knowledge about wifi.

Maybe someone of you can help me to choose what do I need from Mikrotik products.

The area where I would I to implement this is a straight line (described like this):

- It’s a village
- 6km long
- On the middle is a street 6 m wide.
- At 10m from the middle of the street are usually tall trees (both sides).
- At 20m-30m from the middle of the street are houses build form bricks(both sides).
- In the middle of the village the is an uplink with optic fiber.

What I intend to do is to provide wifi network to potential users that can sustain 100-200Mbps traffic (inside their houses).

Until 5Ghz I don’t need special approvals.

Can anyone give me some hints about this? I don’t need a project, just a starting point.

What wifi device should I buy from Mikrotik, and theoretically, how many of it do I need for this distance?

Thanks in advance,
N
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hotspot network. what AP to use?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:46 pm

If you really want to reliably deliver such speed for all houses along the street you should dig deep down the optic. I also wonder how you could bring at least 10gbps uplink to such area. Maybe more would be needed if you connect more than 100 houses.

aresmt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:55 pm

If you really want to reliably deliver such speed for all houses along the street you should dig deep down the optic. I also wonder how you could bring at least 10gbps uplink to such area. Maybe more would be needed if you connect more than 100 houses.
Hi Jarda,

Let's focus on wifi, forget about my future ISP. As i said, in the middle of the village, i have optic fiber, and i can go with it in both directions.
Thanks,

djdrastic

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Do you need full wireless coverage everywhere or can you run a Point to Multipoint setup to other antennas located on the respective properties ? Are you able to run fiber to each home and then just run a regular omni AP in the homes ?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:13 am

This was what I said. Optics to each house is the solution.

aresmt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Optics would be a solution, BUT, the customers wants WIFI :), They already have UTP at 100Mb, they are not happy with cables, they want WIFI.

That's why i posted my question in the wifi section asking about an wifi solution.

Thanks,

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:53 pm

I understand that they want wifi inside the houses. But do they care how you deliver the connectivity to their houses? If yes then you would need to make ptp link for each individual house to be able to guarantee the speed. But the band is not wide enough to host so many links too close each other.

aresmt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:54 pm

I understand that they want wifi inside the houses. But do they care how you deliver the connectivity to their houses? If yes then you would need to make ptp link for each individual house to be able to guarantee the speed. But the band is not wide enough to host so many links too close each other.
Hi Jarda,

Let's take it step by step from the end user to the optic link.

In the attached picture, if you would chose one of the Mikrotik wifi products, and put it in the middle of the road at 4-5 m height, what range would we cover for 100-200Mbps and how many users will be able to connect through that product with that speed? We will assume that the specific product already have an uplink that support the traffic.

Thanks,

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Still assuming you want to give such speed to each individual client. Then it is not possible. If you expect they will share the connectivity of the ap then we can start to think about it. What will be the clients first? Phones moving around, TVs, notebooks? Or real fix mounted client stations with the directional antennas under your possession?

aresmt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:31 pm

ok, someone else with a more positive attitude? :)

Thanks,

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Seems you believe that radio waves will be waving according to your personal attitude. Please keep us updated how it goes.

aresmt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Seems you believe that radio waves will be waving according to your personal attitude. Please keep us updated how it goes.
i am pretty sure that the radio waves will not be waving to my personal positive attitude, but if i would had experience and knowledge in wifi, i would respond to this post like this:

with this AP (model and number) you will have 5 users on a range of 10 meters that can sustain 100Mbps traffic for 10 minutes only when is a full moon. :)

in my first post i said "theoretically" .. i don't want exact numbers, i don't want the ideal and perfect solution.. i want few opinions from those who have knowledge. opinions about this request, not something else.

i usually avoid to use forums, because always it comes to that (the man ask for wifi, you recommend fiber.. the man ask for fiber, you recommend utp)..

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:00 pm

None can seriously tell you something like you are expecting. I am really sorry.

ebreyit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:24 am

Hi aresmt,
I think what Jarda is getting at, is that you need to provide a narrower scope of variables before you can expect a realistic answer, otherwise the question is to open and ambiguous to gain useful answers.

Do you expect each client to utilise 100-200Mbps each, or, is that to be the max bandwidth shared amongst all the clients.

Do the clients only care about getting WiFi for the last part of the connection within their homes (allowing for delivery to their property via methods such as Fibre, Cat5 or other non WiFi method) or, do they (or you) specifically require the network to be delivered from a central point via WiFi from outside their property.

If delivered Via WiFi from a Central Point/Tower/Sector antenna etc to their homes can a CPE be installed outside with a further AP being placed inside the property for the final delivery over wifi or do they expect to connect their client devices directly to the tower...?

Once you begin to knock those questions on the head we can get a better idea of the topology you're looking to implement and make recommendations on what might be realistically feasible or what might need to be modified to work towards your goals.