MikroTik App

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

New wireless-fp and packetloss [Solved]

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Hello,

After being using the new wireless-fp package I can confirm that it does generate a small packetloss in PtP links which do not have any losses using the "classic" wireless package. The problem does not happend in all links, it is just more prone to be seen on links which are in areas with more wireless actitivity (and that does not mean cochannel interference!). Using "auto" or any other value for "TDMA period size" do not make any difference.

Keep in mind that I only changed the wireless package, all other parameters are exactly the same (frequency, NV2 values, etc).

I measure packet loss with a smokeping server and also using a command similar to:
ping interval=0.100 count=1000 size=1500 address=1.2.3.4
Going back to the classic package solves this packet loss. It's a shame, because the new wireless-fp does improve latency stability on those links :(

Has anyone seen this problem in their PtP links?

Thanks

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: New wireless-fp and packetloss

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Yes I do notice some minor packet loss when observing my smokeping graphics and comparing them to before. As you said only on some links and hard to notice without looking at smokeping over at least several days. If I just send 100 pings it shows 0% packet loss most of the time.

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:31 pm

The trick to catch it is sending pings fast enough to somewhat emulate the flow of other kind of packets.

I started investigating this when our users complain about strange behavior of some apps (games, voip, sometimes DNS queries) which mostly use UDP (TCP usually will recover from those losses), so it's not just a problem with ICMP but a real packet loss problem.

Thanks

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:04 pm

On a semi-related note, I have been having occasional stalling with Android clients when using wireless-fp package.

I have reverted back to the legacy wireless package and haven't had an issue since.

When the connection stalls with wireless-fp, the client will be unable to access any network resources but does not disconnect. The log on the RB doesn't show anything (including wireless debug log). Toggling WiFi off/on with the client fixes the problem immediately, or after waiting 3-5 minutes the connection will recover. So far I've only noticed this with Android clients and not with Windows 7 using Intel WiFi radio. No other clients available to really check this for now.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 am

On a semi-related note, I have been having occasional stalling with Android clients when using wireless-fp package.

I have reverted back to the legacy wireless package and haven't had an issue since.

When the connection stalls with wireless-fp, the client will be unable to access any network resources but does not disconnect. The log on the RB doesn't show anything (including wireless debug log). Toggling WiFi off/on with the client fixes the problem immediately, or after waiting 3-5 minutes the connection will recover. So far I've only noticed this with Android clients and not with Windows 7 using Intel WiFi radio. No other clients available to really check this for now.
Please contact support@mikrotik.com with a support output file which is made when that problem is happening

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:06 pm

On an RB912 ap with 25 stations, all SXT lite, there is 2-5% pachet loss with wireless-fp. No pachet loss before. All stations have installed 6.15 but with wireless package.

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 pm

I am using a BaseBox 5 (912UAG-5HPnD) which is basically an RB912.

I have a 2.4 GHz radio interface added (R11e-2HPnD), but it's lightly used (only by Chromecast units, really).

All other devices are using 5 GHz with U-NII-3 Ce (40 MHz) configuration. The stalling seems to happen only my Android devices; have specifically noticed it on Samsung Galaxy S4 and Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Also in use are Fujitsu notebook with Intel WiFi, Google Nexus 7-2013, Google Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy S3.

Note that the only Android device I use heavily today is the Galaxy Note 3, so while the problem may exist on the others, I haven't used them heavily enough to notice. I'll look into that.

I don't recall ever having the problem with the Intel WiFi on the Fujitsu laptop, nor do I have any problems with the three Chromecast units (used frequently).

I have seen the connection very quickly flap when using the legacy wireless package, and the log indicates my device started the deauth for some reason, and then immediately reconnected. This doesn't seem to be an issue. But what happens with the wireless-fp package is that the device just stalls out and there's nothing in the RouterOS log to indicate anything happening. Perhaps my device tries the deauth but the method it uses isn't understand by the new package like it was by the legacy package.

I noticed this on RouterOS 6.15 for sure. I haven't tried wireless-fp on 6.17 but I'll activate it again and see if I can capture a supout while it's happening. (Usually it happens when I'm in bed and really don't feel like running across the house to resume my notebook to pull the logs.)

EDIT: forgot to mention I'm using it in ap-bridge mode only (no routing or anything fancy), and I have very high signal strength and SNR due to the 1W radios and 5 dBi gain antennas with both chains enabled (using .11n); never have any problems except for these occasional stalls/dropouts.

visalink
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 pm

On an RB912 ap with 25 stations, all SXT lite, there is 2-5% pachet loss with wireless-fp. No pachet loss before. All stations have installed 6.15 but with wireless package.
How is the TDMA Period Size ?
In one of my ptp, if leave the value lower than 2, it happens.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:49 pm

yottabit, could you please upgrade the RouterOS to v6.17 and then report back if you still see some problems and then report to support@mikrotik.com with the support output file attached.

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 pm

uldis, I have upgraded to 6.17 and re-activated wireless-fp.

So far I've had a couple very minor drop-outs but I think I can chalk them up to multi-path interference due to the locations at the times.

I'll keep an eye out for it and send in a supout if I can catch it happening again.

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:16 am

uldis, I have upgraded to 6.17 and re-activated wireless-fp.

So far I've had a couple very minor drop-outs but I think I can chalk them up to multi-path interference due to the locations at the times.

I'll keep an eye out for it and send in a supout if I can catch it happening again.

Glad to know, but... any news regarding my original post? :)

rado3105

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 am

in PtP after one week of using wireless-fp and auto tdma...seems no problems