Community discussions

MikroTik App

joshaven
Topic Author

How do Virtual AP's Scale

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:53 pm

I am interested in knowing how the Virtual AP scales. For instance would an RB2011 run any differently with 4000 hidden SSID's then it does with 2 hidden SSID's? My question is not specifically about the number of SSID's but rather about how RouterOS scales with Virtual AP's. Secondarily, if anyone has information in regards a reason that the client would have an issue with the AP having a large number of hidden SSID's then that would be helpful as well. I am asking specifically in regards to 802.11n mode (AP with consumer WiFi devices connected). Furthermore if the MIPSBE chip doesn't scale well with SSID's is the PowerPC chip better? I am NOT talking about thousands of users on an AP just hundreds or thousands of Virtual AP's.

Thanks in advance for any information.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do Virtual AP's Scale

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:07 am

For each VirtualAP you add, you decrase (not the half, is not WDS) little the max data rate because wlan must use some time to "ear" devices on other SSID (hidden or not). IF you place too much VirtualAP, you decrase the data rate available for other AP, real or not.

I think the maximum number of acceptable VirtualAP with only one client connected eachone, are 60.

Why you need to do that?

joshaven
Topic Author

Re: How do Virtual AP's Scale

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:11 am

It is just one possible solution to an experimental network that I'm looking at.