Community discussions

MikroTik App

PPi
just joined
Topic Author

Solved? - SXT bridge dies at the client side after setup

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi all - I'm forced to plea help from you as I don't seem to understand setting up a transparent wireless point-to-point network link.

I have tried making this couple of ways, and as a last resort as per this wiki page. I get the link up and running for a short time, I can access both SXT's from the server side and then it freezes - until I disconnect the client side ethernet cable (of course the PoE will remain). If I plug the ethernet cable back whatever it is a laptop, switch or anything, it just freezes again. No ping nor any reply from SXT client (neither from the WLAN nor LAN side). The LED indicator suggests that the link is still up and running, but nothing passes thru.

I have already tried resetting both sides to default settings, reconfiguring, swapping these two physically and so on. I tried searching the forum but seems that I don't hit the right keywords. This is probably a small error in configuration, but I fail to find it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PPi on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PPi
just joined
Topic Author

Re: SXT bridge dies at the client side after setup

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:46 pm

Oh, it took almost a day for my message to appear here, so I've been trying to figure this out myself meanwhile. Here is one attempt:

Assuming that the server side is ok, I tried resetting the client side and have my laptop connected here. So I connect to default address 192.168.88.1 with WinBox and let the default configuration be.

Now lets give a shot to "Quick Set". I switch the mode to "PTP Bridge" Client/CPE and now I get the server side SSD listed in a window below - great! Since I have set nv2 to use secure connection, I type in the WPA password and hit connect.

Odd enough, the link does not set up. Wireless status remains to be "searching for network". That's not good, so I goto see the settings in Wireless -> Interfaces and open the wlan1-gateway. Under NV2 tab the "Preshared Key" field remains empy and "Security" checkbox unticked? So I type in the WPA password again and tick the "Security" and apply the settings. Now I can see the link has been established! Rock on!

At this point I open a new instance of WinBox and let it search for devices. Although rest of my network resides in a different subnet, it can still find my main router and server side SXT. So it's all ok now?

Now I want to have the client side SXT to use the same IP address space with rest of my network, so I change it to a next free address (via "Quick Set") and hit OK. Obviously WinBox disconnects and I have to change my LAN adapter address to reflect this network settings.

As a quick test, I open a console to continuously ping my SXT client side address, that returns in less than 1ms. Great! However it timeouts if I try to ping any address from the Server side. Hmm... WinBox search still lists other routerboards, but any connection attempt by IP address fails to "no response" after waiting a long time. If I try to connect by MAC address, it return almost immediately to "no response".

Interesting enough, now the WinBox fails to connect to this client side SXT almost every time (I'm still plugged directly into it with my laptop) and after a short amount of time it disconnects. Same happens if I try web-GUI. However, as I previously set the console to ping the SXT, it still keeps returning flawlessly in less than 1ms and never drops a packet!

So, lets see how things look from server side: I attempt to ping the client SXT which fails, and is pretty much what I expeted. However, if I unplug the cable from my laptop (that was still connected to client SXT), the ping begins to return to server side!

Aaargh....

I have tried different IP addresses, just to be sure that these are not overlapping, but no luck. Interesting enough, when I set the client SXT the bridge will work at first - but only for a minute or so. I can access the Internet but after that it remains like this.

Man, someone please shred some light in here...

PPi
just joined
Topic Author

Re: SXT bridge dies at the client side after setup

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Well, although there seems to be very little of help available, I finally made it work. Not sure how or why, but it is now connected. I didn't touch the server side anymore, only client. The "Quick Set" seems to do some misconfiguration as I stated previously. Not sure if this is by design, but e.g. protocol was set to "nv2" it will be "nv2 nstreme" under wireless interface settings. I don't know if this matters though.

The link was up and running almost two days until today it died again. The server side SXT did not make any reply nor was I able to find it with WinBox. Finally I set it to factory defaults and started configuring all over again. Now it's operating again and I'll just have to see if it makes this hiccup again. Hope not.

So, I'm a little bit unsure about the quality of the product now, but when it's working it seems to do a decent job.

And I'm glad that I wasn't in hurry, waiting for a day for every post to appear here doesn't make it any easier...

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Solved? - SXT bridge dies at the client side after setup

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:01 pm

So after some configuring it is working better now. That is good.
Maybe you need to learn some more about Mikrotik, learn about what each setting does. I am sure you will get it stable, just don't count only on QuickSet.
You don't need to worry about the quality of these. After configuring you can just forget about them. I have wireless links with Mikrotik working for years.