Community discussions

MikroTik App

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

DHCP leases on hotspot! Whats is real here!!

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:44 am

ok, here is a question, I have the hotspot running on a server, this connects to my AP and AP gives clients access. Now the DHCP in theory works this way: Clients send DHCP server a Discovery, dhcp sends an offers, client sends a request and dhcp acknoladge and assings ip address.. Correct?

Now if this is wireless, the client has to connect to the netwrok first, meaning they have to search for the ssid and actualy connect to it before all this happens right?

I ask this because I have an AP on a public área and in the past three days it has 450 ip leases, but only 15 actually click the login bottón…. Does the dhcp gives them an IP even when they have never connected to the network?

So basically if people are just walking on the street and they pass by the AP, does the AP gives them an IP address? 90% of this are mobile devices, mostly androids..

Can someone tell me if I actually have 450 people saying connect to my network or the DHCP just assigns and IP even if they dont connect?

thanks,
Daniel

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: DHCP leases on hotspot! Whats is real here!!

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:31 pm

hotspot login will happen over configured layer3. Layer3 in turn requires IP address configured. And that is done via DHCP. So, someone connects and sees login page - leaves.

You could try to reduce the lease time on your dhcp-server.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Thank you Janisk,

Well I am just trying to figure out if its true that actually 450 users actually searched for my signal and click connect to wireless AP or if the mobile device automatically got an IP address from the DHCP server. From what you are telling me if I understand correctly users must of had searched and connect to my AP right??

Thanks

daniel

haik01

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Mostly, phones (or tablets) connect to an insecure network, without asking it. And that connect triggers a DHCP lease. So yes, your assumption is correct.

People passing by, are connecting, even when they do not know about it.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:29 am

Ok, thanks!!! THAT SUCKS!!! I WAS GONNA MAKE MILLIONS!!! HEHEHEHE!!!! bUT I HAVE 20 per block with out advertising is not bad at all...

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:23 am

Ok guys I have another question.... Just want to learn more about this.. This is what I so on the hotspot manual:

ip hotspot host
Host table lists all computers connected to the HotSpot server. Host table is informational and it is not possible to change any value there.

What is that mean???? Ok I have dhcp server leases and I have this ip host list, what is the difference? I have 95 Hosts on my Hotspot list, and 97 ip leases and only 22 are actually connected to the hotspot..
So from previous posts we came to the conclusion that ip leases from the dhcp its probably just giving to people passing by with out them even knowing it..

Now what does it mean when the all computers connected to the server?? This mean this people actually clicked on the ssid of the hotspot??? But never logged in? "Just so you know I have set up so they just click on surf boton with out actually login in with username and password"

Can someone just take this dirt out of my eye!!!? I know its not a big deal but its just killing me not knowing...

Thanks you

Daniboy