Community discussions

MikroTik App

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Extend WiFi Range Basebox2

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:42 am

How to configure and connect Basebox2 to my existing linksys router to extend my wifi coverage. Linksys router connect with basebox2 with wired and basebox2 will work as wifi repeater so that i can use my all wifi devices. IP address all provided by Linksys router only.
Same thing i achieved by my two DDWRT installed linksys Routers very easily connecting LAN cable to my second Linksys ddwrt installed router. Assign static IP to second linksys router 192.168.1.2 and primary router 192.168.1.1.

mcdebugger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Extend WiFi Range Basebox2

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:50 am

You just need to create bridge with wlan interface and ethernet interface that is going to your LAN port on router as ports of this bridge. Assign IP address to a bridge to communicate with Mikrotik AP from the network. Adjust SSID and security settings on Mikrotik AP to be the same as on Linksys router. You can have different channels on them to not overlap but you need same SSID and security settings (PSK, WEP/WPA setting).

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:33 pm

mcdebugger;

Can you please brief little bit more i am new into this mikrotik OS. Where to change all these settings in my basebox2 OS, like where to assign static IP 192.168.1.2 My goal is to expand WiFi range of my existing linksys router just connecting LAN port of basebox2 wired with Linksys Router not wirelessly.

I am well familiar with ddwrt OS how to use second router as repeater

mcdebugger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:54 pm

mcdebugger;

Can you please brief little bit more i am new into this mikrotik OS. Where to change all these settings in my basebox2 OS, like where to assign static IP 192.168.1.2 My goal is to expand WiFi range of my existing linksys router just connecting LAN port of basebox2 wired with Linksys Router not wirelessly.

I am well familiar with ddwrt OS how to use second router as repeater
1. Download Winbox - http://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... winbox.exe
2. Switch to Neighboors tab and double-click on AP's MAC, then enter your credentials and connect.
3. Go to Bridge window and add new bridge. Name it some like "bridge-lan".
4. On Ports tab add wlan0 and ether[n] (whatever connected to your LAN port on router) to your bridge.
5. Go to IP - Addresses, add IP address 192.168.1.2/24 to your bridge interface.
6. Go to Wireless - Security profiles and create profile for your network (I think it will be dynamic keys, WPA PSK or/and WPA2 PSK and your wireless network password as Pre shared key.
7. Go to Wireless - Intefaces. On Wireless tab of wlan0 interface select mode: ap bridge, needed band, enter SSID and select previously created security profile in Security Profile.

It should work now so try to connect.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Don't use winbox 3 beta. It is still buggy. Use version 2 instead.

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks for assisting it worked great :) but WiFi range is not what i expected, can i use some other Antenna to increase maximum WiFi coverage area like ubiquiti AirMax Omni Antenna?

mcdebugger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks for assisting it worked great :) but WiFi range is not what i expected, can i use some other Antenna to increase maximum WiFi coverage area like ubiquiti AirMax Omni Antenna?
You can use antenna you want, just look that it supports needed frequency range.
Also ensure that you have all needed pigtails, cables.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:13 am

And also ensure you are not breaking local law requirements and regulations that apply in your country.

mcdebugger
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 am

Also check are all chains on BaseBox enabled. (Wireless interface settings - HT - TX chains, RX chains).
This can improve both coverage and performance.