Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

wireless-fp question; bridge use

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:43 am

Manual says; "source interface is not bridge port" amongst other conditions that has to be met.

Does this also means even if bridge setting is "Allow Fast Path"? (No firewall rules apply)

And fast path only works if on both end of the wireless link the interface queue is set to "only-hw.queue"?

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: wireless-fp question; bridge use

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:16 pm

[quote="WirelessRudy"]Manual says; "source interface is not bridge port" amongst other conditions that has to be met.

this sentence confusing me too.
anyway. i noticed no changes if i use mikrotik recommendatoins to use fast path.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:55 pm

Well, by studying and reading the manual several times I concluded that the interface on a wireless-fp package running board that is part of a bridge, and bridge has no firewall set and 'use fast path' is enabled, should make the fast path perform if; also the other interface on the other end of the radio link uses fast path.
On both interfaces you should also check the queue setting. The interface queue should be set to 'hardware queue only' and there should be no other queues (simple or tree) running on that interface (or if it is part of the bridge, queues should not be set on the bridge interface).

One other thing you have to take care off; If you client CPE is router, so IP of the CPE serves as client-IP, than you have src-nat enabled to masquerade on the CPE. This means you need connection tracker running and that is one condition that prevents the use of the fast path.

Imhop on the CPE it would only work if the client has a wife router connected to the ethernet port of the CPE where that CPE is than fully bridged (and has no firewall rules, no mangle, no filter, no src or dst-nat).
And ah yeah, make sure you use NV2. That's one other condition.

Only if ALL of these conditions are met, packages will run outside the linux kernel and is passed through directly to the next interface. I presume it benefits the latency and maybe throughput.
There are some posts from people in this forum that actually report it doesn't improve, or even degrades.... the link.
(But have they met all the conditions? And how is their rest of the config.? You can only make real assessments on improvements if all other data are set right, and than in-between the tests are not changed...)

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:04 am

According to your description I have links where all conditions are met. There is no difference. But I am not sure if I should expect any. Maybe it is too small to notice in real life application.
It would be a good idea if we can someone see if fast-path is indeed used, maybe somewhere in the connection information, like we have check marks for wds, compression, wmm ..

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:14 am

Well, if all conditions are met, it should be 'on'. But 'on' merely means "all conditions to have data pass-through without further processing" are met. Now you understand that data that already is passed relative fast over a router because its little data, or the router is powerfull or has not so much to do anyway, than the difference will hardly be noticeable.
Some say it brought the ping times down a lot. But what does that mean if I already measure a ping over my links that are 1-4ms? Are they now 0-3ms? That falls way within the fluctuation margins anyway.

Maybe if you can create a consistent heavy data stream over a link and than do a ping over the same link? Than maybe you should be able to really notice that ping times go down....?

Regarding the 'notification' of some settings to 'really work or not'; I saw a post about testing the rc6.19 http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87911 where flags are set for some functionality settings to tell you if they are a'allowed' ('working'?) or not. That's a little help....