Community discussions

MikroTik App

icedblind
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless scan list improvement request (maybe bug?)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Yesterday, after a good installation on the top of a mountain, i forgot the station CPE of a point-to-point link with a single frequency in the scan-list, and leave to finally go home.

My colleague, in the evening, checked the configuration of the link. He descovered my carelessness, and decided to re-open the scan-list to the wide range of full frequencies.
To do that, from a remote winbox session on the station part of the link, he clicked on the up-arrow at the end of the "Scan List" line in winbox (its alternative text is "Remove value"), not remembering that someday in somechangelog from v6 of RouterOS this option must be changed to "default" instead to null to complete the correct procedure.

and clicked "Apply" button.

Suddenly the link gone down 4ever, of course, no explanation in the bridge's log.
It has been a 300-kilometers-far-from-home-nice-trip-again for me, today.

This was the red-line-of-death when i climbed again that mountain:

Yes, of course, RTFM, it was maybe written. And we've learned, never ever again & doublecheck before leave.
But a little piece of code that throws an error before bringing the link down maybe it's a good improvement.

Let us know. Cheers.

EDIT:
- 2x RB911G-5HPnD link
- ROs 6.18

Kickoleg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wireless scan list improvement request (maybe bug?)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:01 pm

It depend from regulatory-domain and country, it hapens if you set not correct frequency in scan list ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

icedblind
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireless scan list improvement request (maybe bug?)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Yep, Kickoleg, i know "it happens" & understand it's an human error; but i think it should not happen, in a dumb-proof system like mikrotik's one.
I think the solution for prevent this type of mistake is simple to code; maybe it's not a "bug" in a strict way, but IMHO my advisory could be considered as a small improvement for the next routeros releases.

Thankyou