Community discussions

MikroTik App

TechGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Recommended Config for R52Hn 802.11 b/g/n AP

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:22 pm

I am having trouble making a stable b/g/n 2.4Ghz AP for laptops, tablets, etc in my building. The main issue is I have some laptops with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 card that will repeatedly disconnect for a couple seconds and the reconnect at different short intervals. The log on my MT shows simply shows the laptops as "attempts to associate" during this period. I do not see any disconnects on the log. I have found that running the AP in 802.11 N mode only gives me a stable connection but I need to have backwards compatibility with b/g too. The issue only occurs with b/g/n mode or b/g mode.

I have a RB433GL with an R52Hn card with two 4dbi antennas. I have found that using the same config on a RB951G-2HnD works as expected with no unexpected drops. The only difference I can see is that the RB851G-2HnD has a newer wireless chip. I have tried changing just about every setting and I am currently back to defaults. I am still in the testing phase so if there is a different recommendation for what I am trying to do I can go with that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bongo

Re: Recommended Config for R52Hn 802.11 b/g/n AP

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 pm

i had similar problem & solved it, but you need to give more info ( your setup & configuration )

TechGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:14 pm

I am basically back to default config since I am currently testing before deploying more of these. The only change is I am using WPA2 PSK and aes ccm for the ciphers. I am willing to try your config if that is working for you. Also, I am trying to use 2 ACSWIM 4dbi Omni antennas. I don't know if I should be using something better for max coverage but that's another topic. :)

Sorry, forget to mention I am using ROS 6.18 with the wireless-fp package and I have the NIC and R52Hn bridged.

Kickoleg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 am

Try to use this settings:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TechGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:51 am

Thank you for the sample config. I am now getting the best results I have ever seen. I have gone longer than ever before without a disconnect and I am showing a connection speed of 240 Mbps on the laptop. I will let some tests run for a while and see how it goes but so far so good!

Also, should I be using a different antenna or routerboard/wifi card. If this works then I will be deploying several of these and I would prefer to use the best, but affordable, hardware for my deployment. One 3 story building has several thick cement brick walls that has been a challenge in the past. There will only be about 60 wireless devices but I need to ensure a good connection for them.

Thanks

TechGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Unfortunately the issue has returned. All of the settings are the same but I am still have stability issues and I have checked and there is basically no interference in my area and the AP is within 30 ft of the laptop with LOS.

Kickoleg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:23 pm

I have same trouble with only one new HP laptop model (not remember number)... To be honest I have not looked at the model of his cards, but I did in settings of laptop wireless card - ad-hoc 11n-enable, and disable 5Ghz mode- set only 2Ghz.
I'm understand that this way not right, need trying deeper found problem in the router, but actually this was an isolated incident.

TechGuy
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:42 pm

I have tried just about everything I can from the laptop end. It is strange how your config worked for days. The only change I made was temporarily adding a virtual AP on that interface which is now completely removed. I could try resetting the unit but it seems there is a compatibility issue with newer wifi cards, especially if I am not the only one running into this problem. I am open to any other suggestions but if I can't find a solution I will probably try emailing support or going with another solution.

I am still curious if I should be using different hardware though and it would be nice if the registration table showed the hostname of devices. Especially in CAPsMAN which doesn't even seem to have a column for Last IP.