1 (25%)

Total votes: 4

edd
just joined
Topic Author

How To: Bridging VLANs over Mikrotik Wireless

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Hello,

Due to the frustration and time spent on finding a suitable solution for my requirements, I thought I'd share this to save Mikrotik newbies, like myself, their day.

To start with, all I wanted was to bridge via wireless a Cisco dot1q trunk of vlans, untag and distribute the traffic at the end of the network. Several documents describe similar scenario's solution by creating VLANs on both ends of the Mikrotiks. That did not make any sense and did not work as intended.

Generally speaking, a bridge passes traffic from one end to the other whether it is tagged or not. So why create the VLANs on both ends? No need.

Solution Diagram
Network.JPG
As depicted above, I wanted to bridge 2 networks separately in VLAN 70 and 71 and be able to manage all Mikrotik devices globally in VLAN 11.
Note that I won't be diving into details as those are network specific.
Also note that this is the first time I use Mikrotik.

Mik1
Mik1.JPG
Note that only VLAN 11 is configured on Mik1 so that management traffic can be internally untagged in order to access the Mikrotik box. The rest of the traffic continues tagged through the bridge over to Mik2 where it gets stripped of its tags.

Mik2
Mik2.JPG
Here all the traffic is received by the WDS interface which is added to bridge1 to which all configured VLANs attach to. Then each VLAN is placed in a separate bridge with its related ether interface in order to strip the tags...

As simple as that ...
If you require more details regarding this setup, let me know.

edd!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How To: Bridging VLANs over Mikrotik Wireless

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:23 am

maybe using routing and arp proxy feature

but nice idea

jthoele
just joined

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:03 am

I am looking to do something similar. Similar setup with 3 more hops (from mik 2 to mik3, mik3 to mik4...) with the two vlans accessible at each hop. The connection between each hop would be wireless radios.

thasser
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:31 pm

What were your vlan interface trunk settings. Great post btw - more people need to post good information like this myself included.

edd
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:31 pm

maybe using routing and arp proxy feature

but nice idea
Routing does not offer my requirements a solution; many of the customers want to be able to use broadcast based applications ( like printer driver software...) on their networks.

Thank you,

edd
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:34 pm

What were your vlan interface trunk settings. Great post btw - more people need to post good information like this myself included.
sorry for the late reply; this is strange but this is the first time I receive an email from this forum saying that someone posted here :?

anyway the trunk settings on Cisco side were simply: (example)
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y,z...
switchport mode trunk