Community discussions

MikroTik App

just joined
Topic Author

Problems with WDS Mesh

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:35 am

I followed the directions here

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_WDS_Mesh

to implement a wireless mesh (Model 1). Here is my setup.

RB2011 for home router (connected to the internet)
Up to OmniTik for an outdoor AP (AP1)
OmniTik (AP2)
SXT2 (AP3)
AP2 eth2 goes to AP3

Basically, I needed a middle hop around a structure to get to the 2.4 Gig area where I have two 2.4 Gig devices. But, I may add more OmniTiks in the future in various locations around AP1 so from now on I will stay in the 5 Gig range.

After following the directions given the link above, I can connect to AP1 and surf the internet. I can see AP2 as a neighbor on AP1 and see the WDS interface pop up. I see the same SSID and can connect to it on AP2 but can not go anywhere. Well, I don't even get an IP (DHCP server is on the home router). It seems like AP1 and AP2 see each other and connect but do not let traffic pass. I am thinking something is not routing the traffic from the IP range my network is on (10.10.1.0) to the Mesh network (10.10.10.0) and then back to the normal network on the other end.

The only problem I had with the article is that he shows in Mesh Ports to have ether5 listed but then by command line does wlan1. Wlan1 makes much more sense to me but I can not add it because wlan1 is already added as a port in my bridge.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Here are some screenshots from AP1 to show what I am seeing. Note: For AP1 I have nothing plugged into eth2 but on AP2 I have AP3 plugged into eth2. I still configured them the same and added eth2 to the bridge.

One other note. I can telnet from AP1 to AP2 and then to AP3.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problems with WDS Mesh

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 am

OK, I got it working. My problem was using the bridge. I had the bridge set up already and the instructions do not show using a bridge. I moved everything over to the Mesh and just treated it as a bridge.