Community discussions

MikroTik App

kostasthess
Topic Author

About 100/Users per device

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Hello to all .

Anyone has any opinion about what device is best for 2.4Ghz and about 100user/per device?

I have tried Metal 2.4 and Groove 2.4 both of them takes about 40 users .

I want a device about 100 users/per Device .

Anyone has any info about Basebox 2.4 ? How much users can take ?

We talk about 2.4Ghz B/G/N 40Mhz .......

Thanks a lot ;)

payday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: About 100/Users per device

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:24 am

Using more then one Access Point is not an option?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:24 am

Well, if 'wireless is your life' you'd better start reading and learning a bit about it.

Your question is similar too; How many trucks are allowed on motorway?

It all depends on simultaneous traffic demand versus amount of clients versus capacity of the radio network versus capacity of the radio chip versus the cpu of the controlling software versus QoS implementation versus type of traffic versus signal to noise etc. etc.

If you have one customer at 5 km away that is allowed 100Mb download he will probably already consume your total capacity and any other customer suffers.
If you have only many smartphones connected, even a simple unit can handle 50-60 associations....

kostasthess
Topic Author

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Well, if 'wireless is your life' you'd better start reading and learning a bit about it.

It all depends on simultaneous traffic demand versus amount of clients versus capacity of the radio network versus capacity of the radio chip versus the cpu of the controlling software versus QoS implementation versus type of traffic versus signal to noise etc. etc.

If you have one customer at 5 km away that is allowed 100Mb download he will probably already consume your total capacity and any other customer suffers.
If you have only many smartphones connected, even a simple unit can handle 50-60 associations....
The problem is not the reading somethink i ask if anyone has make any solution about 1000 users on same area .

All clients are smartphones and is in the same area about 100-150meters max .

How much access point ? about 30 ? in area of 150meters?

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:06 pm

The problem is not the reading somethink i ask if anyone has make any solution about 1000 users on same area .

All clients are smartphones and is in the same area about 100-150meters max .

Then use one groove,
and after user complaints you will want to install aditional AP's :):)
I would go with 4 SXT-2g

payday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:38 am

Why 30? Use 4 APs. You will have about 25 users per AP (theoretically).

kostasthess
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Why 30? Use 4 APs. You will have about 25 users per AP (theoretically).
I dont want only 100 users ... But 1000 in area of 150 meters .... !!!

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Well Mr. "Wireless is my life"; Go to Mars, maybe they sell access points that can serve 1000 users in a 150mtr reach.
Such thing just doesn't exist...

Maximum you might expect in a 150mtr cell is 200-300 connected devices. If they also need connection to internet think about 150.

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:07 pm

[/quote]
I dont want only 100 users ... But 1000 in area of 150 meters .... !!![/quote]

as we all know from math that area is measured in square meters. But you giving to us length of line.
So the all client must fill in the line of 150 length ? :lol:

ndor

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:32 pm

I think he would need something from Xirrus. Something XR-6000 Series
They say that can support up to 3000 simultaneous users on an AP
http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wireless ... es-%281%29

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:35 am

I think he would need something from Xirrus. Something XR-6000 Series
They say that can support up to 3000 simultaneous users on an AP
http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wireless ... es-%281%29
First of all this model has 48 (!) different antennas on 16 radios and works with both 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz radios. Not really a comparison.

Apart from that, a MikroTik router also is allowed to have up to 2007 clients associated, in one radio in one frequency only!

But that is actually useless information. In both cases it just states what the software has as a limit in the amount of associated mac addresses. The register (=memory) can't handle more mac's.
The moment some of these mac's start generation traffic the whole thing collapses... (well, to start with, you need now the same memory for other tasks as well, and a very, very powerfull and very, very fast CPE to do it all.And still, in a AP-client network the time is a shared medium. If many are demanding a chunck of the second, there is nothing left for others. You can only send so much data in the same second, no matter how powerfull your setup is. Time = time.

Google a bit around and see how the real experts are dealing with concert halls, concerts or congress auditoriums, football stadiums etc. where you see hundreds or thousands users that all have wifi devices and a portion of them also use it.

They use very small cell wifi. Meaning each antenna will only serve a relative small group of users (the size of the cell depends a bit on the usage; On a open air dance festival the usage of the average connected client is different than a 1000 man big IT symposion where Apple promotes their latest product line..)
So, all these AP (tenths up to over hundreds) are all to be wire connected (or with a 5Ghz backhaul mesh network) towards a central controller router to manage and steer all clients and their traffic.
You are talking big stuff now with lots of dollars involved and at least some very skilled persons to set it all up.... Persons that can really call that "wifi is their world".

Thinking you can serve hundreds of users with only one or two AP's is just something unreal...

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 am

Oh, I just found a supplier that has a Xirrus XR-7630 for a special price.... only $ 8,730,- plus VAT. Gives you an idea to start connecting hundreds of users....