Wireless issues

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Hello
please have a look at the attached screenshot
check the signal to noise and tx/rx rate
i am getting higher tx/rx where SNR is low
and tx/rx is low where SNR is high

most of the time i am not able to ping ping form customer end to the AP
after i disable some customers form registrations table (randomly try removing one after another) it works again after sometime this problem starts again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wireless issues

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Hello
please have a look at the attached screenshot
check the signal to noise and tx/rx rate
i am getting higher tx/rx where SNR is low
and tx/rx is low where SNR is high

most of the time i am not able to ping ping form customer end to the AP
after i disable some customers form registrations table (randomly try removing one after another) it works again after sometime this problem starts again
What is the frequency?

kgninfos
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:20 pm

2452 channel 9

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 am

The signals you show are receive signals from 3rd party devices.
The S/N ratios shown are the distance between these receive signals and the background noise.
The CCQ is an percentage of package that make it from sender to receiver.
The data rates is the result of a mix of how 'good' a link is (=> CCQ is a type of measurement, but not only that), how strong received signals are and what actually the radio's are able to deliver.

A good signal doesn't mean a high S/N ratio. (You can have a lot of 'noise')
A good signal with high S/N doesn't mean a good quality link. Polarization also has an influence.

At the same time, when a link is 'idle' data rates and CCQ in ROS tend to stay very low until the moment the link really starts transporting data.
The moment the radio's need to communicate to transport data both ends try to get an as high as possible data rate. But when data gets corrupted too much radio's switch back the data rate. Poor link quality produces poor CCQ where at the same time in variable conditions where data rates jump up and down, the switching of data rates themselves created poor CCQ too. (During a switch no data gets transported which results in a 'drop' which in returns decreases the CCQ%.
So even a very good link that runs idle can actually show poor results.
While a moderate link can still produce high CCQ, After all, CCQ is a percentage of the total.

If on a data transport of only 10 pps 5 packages are dropped, the means a CCQ of 50% where a link that transports 1000pps drops 50 packages (10 times as much drops) the CCQ is still 95%!
Also, on a poor link bigger packages tend to get corrupt than short packages. Where the nature of some software usage (VOIP!) produces short packages that need low latency plain bulky data downloads make big packages (that suffer more losses) but since latency hasn't too much importance is no big deal if the CCQ is lower.

It's not that easy to say "this is one poor parameter, so then that is the problem", its a bit more complicated.
And weird readings can sometimes be very explainable if more of the radio link and data stream is known..

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:35 am

2452 channel 9
Is the device installed near mobile basestation antennas? :)

kgninfos
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:30 pm

The signals you show are receive signals from 3rd party devices.
The S/N ratios shown are the distance between these receive signals and the background noise.
The CCQ is an percentage of package that make it from sender to receiver.
The data rates is the result of a mix of how 'good' a link is (=> CCQ is a type of measurement, but not only that), how strong received signals are and what actually the radio's are able to deliver.
can you please provide me a solution or guide me how to know if a connection is good or not

kgninfos
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:30 pm

2452 channel 9
Is the device installed near mobile basestation antennas? :)
mobile base station?? i am not able to understand you

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:32 am

Maybe he wants to say GSM base antennas...

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:47 am

Maybe he wants to say GSM base antennas...
Exactly GSM :),

As we know, mobile operators starting to use 3G (UMTS@2,1Ghz) and 4G@2,6Ghz band,
On one tower,with colocation with GSM provider i had to remove 2,4 AP, because its RX signal suddenly droped to -81.
I changed AP to another, with Lite2 moved to near to tower, but signal was near to dead.
I suspect GSM operator because on tower i saw that they was changed base station to new, after that i had RX drop.

Hope this helps to find the reason

kgninfos
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:45 pm

what about 5.8 ghz
i am using SXT-SA at base station and STX lite at customer end and getting signal of -88 !!

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:01 pm

what about 5.8 ghz
i am using SXT-SA at base station and STX lite at customer end and getting signal of -88 !!
Distance? Line of sight? 5.8ghz might also be out of freq. specs. (Seems I can't find antenna specs...)

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:58 pm

what about 5.8 ghz
And? what about?
We are using SXT SA as ap and lite5 as cpe. After upgrade to v6.19, this combination beats up ubnt equipment at short distances.

Of course answer to WirelessRudy questions at first.