Community discussions

MikroTik App

bkuhn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB2011 + iOS = Late Night

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Stopped by a small business that I support last night to swap their core router. Got there about 10pm planning on a fairly simple, straight forward swap to the 'Tik (preconfigured by me).

Took a few minutes to jot don't any last minute note (DHCP reservations, port forwarding, etc) and when everything looked good pulled the plug.

Got the 'Tik up and talking everything looked good on my laptop, all of their PCs grabbed the correct IP addresses via static DHCP leases, I was ready to leave about 11pm after cleaning up some cabling and removing old gear. Then I though, well I guess I should test PPTP from my iPhone...this is where the fun starts.

Noticed the phone had connected to their "guest" wireless and grabbed the proper IP address from the guest DHCP pool. Tried pinging the LAN and couldn't, thought great one step closer. Turned WiFi off on my phone and connected to PPTP, awesome ready to leave right? Turned WiFi back on and connected to the internal wireless SSID, grabbed correct IP, hit a wall. I was able to ping the router on and off and could ping DNS servers (4.2.2.2) but couldn't browse the web.

I fought and fought the damn thing not knowing what was going on. Why would my phone not work, but my laptop and one of their wireless desktops were fine? Finally resorted to a system reset to see what the heck was going on. Ended up, through process of elimination being the wireless security profile. I copied their settings (WPA/TKIP) from the Netgear to make the transition as seamless as possible for them. Apparently iPhones do not play nicely with 'Tiks using TKIP. Swapped to AES CCM and everything was good to go, well after I reconfiged the whole thing.

Came to the forum this morning and noticed others have had this same experience with iDevices and TKIP, but though I would post this, hoping it would save somebody a few hours of headache. I finally left the business about 12:30am, but at least everything was working.

This was on a RB2011 running 6.19 and an iPhone 6 running 8.0.2

djdrastic

Re: RB2011 + iOS = Late Night

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 pm

That sucks dude

Welcome to the lovely world of i-Devices.

You didn't have the lowercase/special character SSID problem with these pieces of garbage as well ?