Community discussions

MikroTik App

leopard86
just joined
Topic Author

SXT 5HnD does not lock to the configured data rate

Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Hello,
I've been using SXT 5HnD and I had no complains up to now.

However, in the need for a detailed tests to publish for a scientific paper, I need to artificially report packet drop rate in my specific application (low latency UDP audio tx) depending on the SNR.
The best way to achieve this IMO is to select a specific data rate (among the 802.11A/G ones) and stick to it, while lowering the Tx Power (all rates fixed), thus obtaining decreasing SNR.

Unfortunately, up to now I can't get the SXT to lock to the data rate I specify!! Maybe there is something wrong in my config. What I do: set a basic data rate (6Mbps) and a Supported data rate (6, 36Mbps) for both the ends (a station bridge and a bridge). What happens:
- with very high Tx power the station bridge webFig reports a very high link SNR (117dB, the antennas are in my office), and the Tx data rate keeps at 36mbps almost always, (Rx totally out: 104mbps usually)
- when I decrease the Tx power at both ends the SNR drops sligthly and the station bridge reports Tx/Rx data rates changing every possible data rate (generally >36, e.g. 52, 78, 104, 117, etc) while transmitting.

If I use the default rates, the SXT tries to adjust to optimize SNR and CCQ, employing the 802.11A/G data rates, which is not what I want (because I can't conduct serious measures and because audio packets are sometimes lost when the data rate changes).

I can recap my config at both ends, see attached pdfs. These are the wireless webfig prints from the station bridge and the bridge. I monitor on link info (rate, CCQ, etc.) on the station bridge page
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: SXT 5HnD does not lock to the configured data rate

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:22 pm

The data rate you selected is valid for A standard. But you are using mixed A/N.
Either select 5Ghz-A in band or disable all MCS (basic and supported) to prevent going to N rates.
You can only set these on the bridge side and the station will follow.

leopard86
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Easy as butter!! I went through all the settings several times but that one slipped away.
Thanks!

lakicanp
just joined

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:55 pm

hy everybody...

I have the same router, buyed few days ago...
I want to share a wifi internet with this router, for free to outside...
Is it posibile to do with this inter, if he only have a 5Ghz band?

I can see it on my mobile phone, but not on my laptop...

lakicanp
just joined

Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:41 pm

hi everybody...
I have a mikrotik sxt 5HnD but I think I made a mistake when I was deciding which one to buy.
I wanted to put the router in front of my company and to share free WiFi internet, but this router has only 5GHz band...

Is it possible to use this router for this purposeed?