Community discussions

MikroTik App

carmensitalian
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless distribution with WinBox and 433AH router

Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:13 am

Hi, I have a setup as pictured with an ADSL line through a wireless router which provides me a local network secured with WPA2.
Through the LAN port on the ADSL router I have provided a WAN to eth2 on a RouterBoard 433AH.

The intention is to distribute this as a free WiFi hotspot through a number of wireless AP's from eth1 which is running power over ethernet to the router and the AP's.

I am using WinBox and have been trying to find out how to set this up so that I can freely distribute the WiFi through my motel while keeping my business system and printer secure and invisible from the free WiFi network users (through a separate network?). Really struggling here, my most complex arrangements prior to this have been home wifi bridges where separate networks were not required

http://imgur.com/EfzkgdT

Dead in the water and desperately seeking assistance

CarmensItalian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skillful
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Wireless distribution with WinBox and 433AH router

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 am

The wifi interface and the LAN port of the ADSL Router are most likely connected to the same switch chip inside the ADSL Router, so they see one another at layer2. Therefore, you must stop the packets before they get to the ADSL Router.

The easiest way is to assign static IP Addresses to your Printer and PC, then, setup firewall rules in the RB433 to drop all packets destined for these IP Addresses.

In the RB433, add the following rules:

Assuming that the static IP Address of the PC is 192.168.0.1 and that of the printer is 192.168.0.2
/ip firewall filter
add action=drop chain=forward comment="drop packets destined for PC" dst-address=192.168.0.1 in-interface=ether1
add action=drop chain=forward comment="drop packets destined for Printer" dst-address=192.168.0.2 in-interface=ether1