Community discussions

MikroTik App

kraic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

SXT SA experience ?

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:40 pm

What is Your experience with SXT SA devices?
What distance can they cover? Is 14dB antenna bad ?
Are they 90x90 deg. (x-axe x y-axe)... or 90deg.is ode axe and other axe is smaller deg.range?
How many client device they can handle and on what speed?

I'm thinking to change all sector and CM9 and 433 with these SXT sectors.
Thank You

kraic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: SXT SA experience ?

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Noone has used it ?

kraic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Noone has used it ?

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:32 pm

I have it laying on my table, did not have a chance to install it so far...

you can get the antenna diagram from here:

http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/SXTac-140718123939.pdf

Anyway I have experience from normal SXT AC running as AP doing PtP link.. was not happy about it, when I've replaced it with NetMetal5 connected to dualchain panel antenna and left the client side on SXT, its running great so far.

The previous SXT N based should handle 30 clients with reliable speed. My NV2 AP (RB711) mounted on UB** omni runs great with max throughput around 60-70Mbps TCP, currently handling about 16 clients, its almost same radio s the SXT so it should be working fine, definitely an improvement from CM9.

vstman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:06 pm

running them for about 2 weeks. Learning curve on the wireless setup; getting the signal dialed in, power levels set properly, and the right protocol. Very stable and has added to my network which allows more bandwidth. Mine are not very far apart so I'm sure that if you have any distance and geo challenges that you'll have to dial them in even tighter.

as compared to UBNT; UBNT Gui's are easier to use.............that's the bottomline right now.

If you can't program a Mikrotik RB then you'll be upset with the AC since nothing is straight forward. The Quickset is nice but you'll end up having to screw down into the programming to dial them in.

After reading the forum you'll realize that the AC programming is still being developed as they ship it. UBNT also does things this way so either way you go you'll end up in a hole waiting for a firmware release that may or may not improve you links.

I'm testing them to see if they are going to be able to handle what they advertise and how they compare to UBNT. I've used UBNT for 5 years now and they are good radio's. Survived cold weather, snow, heat, ect.

Another issue to consider is the AC Gb port. You should engineer your switch or RB to connect at a Gb link. I have been using a RB750UP and it only has a 10/100 so I have to make some changes to this in order to max. the AC links. Having a AC link and a 10/100 port connected to it is a bad choice. I am also using UBNT ToughSwitches that handle the Gb so the switched side of my network is handling that. I'll use a RB2011 inplace of the RB750UP. Toying with a UBNT Edgerouter PoE right now also..........might toss that in to see how it handles all?

eochoa77
just joined

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:11 pm

I have just put one up. I have an RSSI -78 with MOD of 36Mbps x2. The CPE is exactly at 1 mile away. It is currently set for 3Mbps down and 512K up. Not having any issues with the speed right now. The scores do not seem very good but this could also be due to tilt that the tower guys may have put on the SA AP.

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 pm

My 5 cents.
i am using 4x devices (to cover 360deg) on one tower about a year. with ros 6.11-6.17 the crashes was often, now with 6.19 results are good (no crashes about 1 month). These devices are good if clients are located 1-2,5 km from AP and signal is between -50....-65.
The throughput .... when testing from client (with nv2) i can get even 70Mbit/s but usually flows 12-17mbit/s at peak hours.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:25 pm

I have take a linktest with the SXT AC see here the result
http://www.wirelessinfo.be/index.php/li ... -500-eceee
Noone has used it ?

kraic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:47 pm

very nice,,thanks for answers :-)

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 pm

Just installed SXTac SA and can say I am impressed so far. Have just one older SXT N client 600m away - moved from another omni AP, links at 144M TX/RX rates and TCP throughput is over 90Mbps on 20MHz channel using NV2 :)

jaykay2342

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:40 pm

The previous SXT N based should handle 30 clients with reliable speed. My NV2 AP (RB711) mounted on UB** omni runs great with max throughput around 60-70Mbps TCP, currently handling about 16 clients, its almost same radio s the SXT so it should be working fine, definitely an improvement from CM9.
How far away are you 16 clients ? We're planning here a similar setup with omni or some SXT SA. Still not sure what we will use.

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:49 pm

How far away are you 16 clients ? We're planning here a similar setup with omni or some SXT SA. Still not sure what we will use.
From 50m to 500m.

Depends if you have free channel 360 degrees and 50Mbps will be enough for you then an OMNI should be enough. If you want more and you have channels available then split to 4x SXT SA and you will have 50-70Mbps per each sector.

vstman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:47 pm

FYI.....I just noticed that my (3) SXT AC's are labeled in winbox as RB SXT G-5HPacD. I have (2) 28 degree and (1) 90 degree but they all show up as 28 degree models. The sticker on the 90 degree is correct, as are the 28 degree models.

The 90 degree should read SXT G-5HPacD-SA. I'd like to see it listed properly so that it makes sense when programming & troubleshooting. Or, did I buy a 90 degree and get a mislabeled 28 degree? Mac's are not in the same range so the 90 degree is unique on the mac.

I wonder if someone got sticker happy?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:49 pm

board is identical, and software doesn't know what antenna is connected, so it shows device family only. this is true for many things that are same on the inside, but case or antenna is different

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:22 pm

plisken, finally I found somebody doing thorough documentation of link testing, thanks for your pointer!

I'd love to read the pages on linktesting on your website but cannot find an english link like in the AC test, and google translator reachs the point of being unintelligible..

also, did you by chance test the SXT AC units with wireless-N only setups (like regular SXT lite or regular 5?

kraic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:24 am

plisken this is good. thank You.
Any experiences with SXT AC and using it on hills, near thunders. Does it die easy or not ? I'm planing to use it all over my network.