Community discussions

MikroTik App

alekou
just joined
Topic Author

Dual Wireless Link same subnet

Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Hello guys.

One department of my company will be soon moved to another building due to over-population. The new building is about 70m away from our HQ and we have LOS. (installing a cable and hardwiring them is not an option because one of the biggest roads in my town is between the buildings. I need to connect the 2 buildings with a full duplex / fail over link without changing the ip addresses of my users.

What i actually want to do is this:
Picture from: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Setup_Dua ... _with_OSPF

I searched google and the MIkrotik forum, found some good configurations, but none of them seems to fit my needs.

So, i got this hardware:
2 x RB2011UiAS Routers
4 x RB911G-5HPnD Antennas

Can anyone give me some tips or point me to guide about the configuration needed in order to work?

Thanks in advance.

ne0031
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Dual Wireless Link same subnet

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:50 pm

You purchased more hardware than is needed. The easiest method to do what you want is to use two simple point to point links and in each building use LAG/LACP/etherchannel/your favorite flavor of link aggregation to bond the two links together, preferably with something that supports ULD so that if a radio link goes down the switches will drop the link rather than queuing traffic because the local ethernet interface is still up.

Conversely, you can go the more difficult approach (which you pictured) and set up VRRP on each of the local 2011s and do your own link aggregation. I've done it before and it does work, but it isn't the fastest when you have a link problem, specifically if you drop to low rates. Given your distance, you should be able to set rather high minimum rates that will support good throughput.

Keep in mind that using either of these methods still limits the maximum useable throughput to that of a single link. Depending on how you establish your aggregation, either mac or ip hashing can be used to split traffic. You also will not have full duplex. Had you purchased different hardware you could have approached pseudo full duplex with a dual nstreme link, which is close, but is not full duplex. Most customers prefer to have two aggregated links that can still serve data if one fails. Using dual nstreme means that if any single component fails the whole setup goes down.

I'm a big fan of Mikrotik, but if you truly need full duplex, or sub-millisecond latency, then you should be looking at an appropriate solution. They do exist for the same money you have invested already, albeit in smaller packages with simpler deployment.

alekou
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 am

Hello, ne0031

Thanks for your help.

If you was me, with the current hardware i purchased and you assigned the task to connect the 2 buildings what approach or configuration you will use keeping in mind that link availabilty comes first and link speed/throughput second?

alekou
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:30 pm

Hello ne0031 and thanks for replying.

If you were in my position, withy my current hardware and assigned the task to connect these buildings which way you could go in order to have a reliable link and some performance?

Liodakis
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:12 pm

It depend on your Priorities.

For a 70m Link, I think fail-over is a little overstatement.

If I were you, I should looking for an MiMo Nstreme dual Configuration (full duplex)
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... treme_Dual
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Nstreme_dual_Step-by-Step

For This configuration, I suggest 2x RB922UAGS-5HPacT-NM with R11e-5HacD Card & 4 Good MiMo 5Ghz Antennas or you can use RB433 with mini PCI Cards.