Community discussions

MikroTik App

cflinspach
just joined
Topic Author

Run Unifi controller on MikroTik

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:34 am

Is there a way to run the Unifi Controller on a RB2011UiAS-2hnd-IN ? I have one that I would like seven PicoStationM2's to hang off of. I was hoping to run it on the MikroTik but if it's not an option I'll just use a Raspberry Pi.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Run Unifi controller on MikroTik

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:37 am

I'm sorry but that is not possible. But please note, that MikroTik devices can also be controlled by controller software, ours is called CAPsMAN

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:52 am

I haven't tried to do this myself, but in theory, you might actually be able to use MikroTik CAPsMAN (v1) instead of UniFi Controller to provision your UniFi access points. The first version of CAPsMAN is CAPWAP (RFC5415) compliant, and I believe I read somewhere that UniFi is CAPWAP compliant. (Don't take my word for it though...like I said, I have never tried it.) (Also note that CAPsMAN v2 breaks rank with the CAPWAP standard and so likely won't work at all.)

Also in theory, it may be possible to run the UniFi Controller on a RouterBoard by using MetaROUTER. Huge chunks of UniFi Controller are written in Java, though, and I think back-end storage is MongoDB, so it likely has a rather large memory footprint, perhaps too large for an RB2011 (and if you could manage to get it to run on an RB2011, it might not run very well).

-- Nathan

cflinspach
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 am

I haven't tried to do this myself, but in theory, you might actually be able to use MikroTik CAPsMAN (v1) instead of UniFi Controller to provision your UniFi access points. The first version of CAPsMAN is CAPWAP (RFC5415) compliant, and I believe I read somewhere that UniFi is CAPWAP compliant. (Don't take my word for it though...like I said, I have never tried it.) (Also note that CAPsMAN v2 breaks rank with the CAPWAP standard and so likely won't work at all.)

Also in theory, it may be possible to run the UniFi Controller on a RouterBoard by using MetaROUTER. Huge chunks of UniFi Controller are written in Java, though, and I think back-end storage is MongoDB, so it likely has a rather large memory footprint, perhaps too large for an RB2011 (and if you could manage to get it to run on an RB2011, it might not run very well).

-- Nathan
Sounds good to me, I'll let you know how it goes.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:24 am

I got unifi running on a Raspberry Pi.

Java 8
mongo db
and the packages.

It is using most of the ram with about 13 sites running off it. The processor really bogs down when I set refresh to 5 seconds.

It made sense back in the day of one server per install. But now that you have multi site... why bother? If you are going to do UniFi more then once and don't need captive portal... it makes way more sense to build a simple server for all your sites.

But if mikrotik would give me a comparable product to UniFi Pro running off Capsman... i would be right there!!!