Community discussions

MikroTik App

kimmy123
Topic Author

Wireless as AP and Station

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:04 pm

Hell Guys

Is it at all possible to set the wireless as an AP and a Station ?
I see that there are Virtual AP's . but this is if the router is set to AP mode.

Please help
Kimmy

deanMKD1

Re: Wireless as AP and Station

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:59 am

I think NO, in these moment. I requested the same feature to be implemented in new versions on RouterOS. :)

http://159.148.147.201/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92188
Last edited by deanMKD1 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Not exactly. But you can use wds for uplink and virtual ap for sharing around. If you have two radios you can use them independently.

deanMKD1

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:35 pm

@jarda that will working, but will lose half of our speed.. Dont have another method to implement this to work.?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:01 pm

If you use one radio for two things you always get only half of capacity if you use both ways at the moment. Other way is to use two radios as I said. Or to run cable which is the best everytime.

deanMKD1

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Yeah of course. :) But another problem with WDS-Station is that is not working with non-Mikrotik AP`s. I have tryed Client-AP mode in OpenWRT and works great. First interface turn in station mode. Then create new virtual AP, and set first interface as master interface. Of course that must work with non-Mikrotik AP`s, because not everyone have mikrotik AP.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:45 pm

First of all, there were words that wds works also with ubnt and tp-link. But it is not guaranteed and I have not tried it personally. Believe or not, try, if you wish.

Secondly it has to be stated that having good link quality means that client and ap are in good position against each other. If you have one radio, you have only one antenna. If you would like the radio to work as client, you will use directional or panel antenna aiming at ap. If you would like to have ap, you would use omni or panel antenna for that. In normal situations you cannot get good link against ap and against your clients simultaneously. As you need to divide time between communication with clients and with ap, whatever signal problem regardless if it is with clients or with ap makes dramatically worse situation for all involved sides. By this you also degrade the distant ap performance. And it is not enough. You have to use the same frequency like the distant ap also for the communication between your ap and your clients that makes huge noise to the distant ap. So by using such repeater you are throwing down everything around.

And it does not matter if you call it client-virtual ap or universal repeater or wds-virtual ap. It is always bad and should be used only temporarily unless better (separate client and separate ap) solution is provided.

Finally, it is possible to install openwrt on many mikrotik devices. I guess you could try it and enjoy client-virtual ap on one radio with openwrt. As I saw the statements of mikrotik stuff here on this forum, they will not even plan to implement wireles repeater (client+ap on one radio) function.

Try wds if you need, it has many advantages, but use two independent radios, if you can. It is much more better for wide area of devices around.

deanMKD1

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:08 am

Tnx @jarda for detailed explanation. :)

kimmy123
Topic Author

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:40 pm

Thank you guys for the positive feedback here.