Community discussions

MikroTik App

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Multiple Networks Via One Sector AP

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:15 pm

So I've been testing out the concept of supplying public IPs to wireless subscribers using VPLS with MPLS.

With my MPLS and VPLS circuit being terminated at my tower's router, how do I supply both private and public IP addresses via the same sector antenna?

That is, two subscribers physically side by side connecting via the same sector antenna to my network but one has a basic subscription with a private IP and the other has a premium service subscription with a public IP.

I'm guessing the answer here is to use VLANs. How are you guys doing this today?

Thanks in advance :)

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Multiple Networks Via One Sector AP

Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:32 am

Looks like virtual access points is another option...

I look forward to some tried and proven advice on this.

jacekes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:43 pm

It's possible to use more than one address on one interface of the router - one public and one private.
Use the public address as the gateway for premium customers and the private for basic customers.

It's a very simple way to do it, the clients are not separated in terms of L2. There are several more complicated ways to do it, using virtualAP's is one of them.

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Interesting way of putting it.

This sounds like the same concept as putting a Cable Modem from one ISP on a switch then adding a DLS modem from another ISP on to the same switch (same ethernet segment), then connecting a client to the same switch. The client (CPE) would then just have a manually configured address which would either be from one of two ISPs.

This doesn't sound to secure to me. I guess it's fine once the end users don't have access to modify the CPE configuration.

Anyone else? Any other thoughts on this? Is there anything to be gained by a 'more complex' configuration?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:44 am

Are you referring to virtual APs? Guess not, as each virtual ap behave like independent interface which can be used not only for bridging but also for routing and vlan tagging. And you can use firewall, even on the bridge. Other way is to use tunnel between the client device and a place where you manage the ip addresses.