Community discussions

MikroTik App

INGeSI
just joined
Topic Author

Metal 2SHPN - ping and bandwidth problem

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:06 am

Hi all

I have bought 4 metal 2SHPN. Which all of them I have the same problem.

They are used to give wi-fi access to the guests of camping area

Essentially, they works good, with good coverage. People can connect and use the wifi without troubles. But if I try to ping them, I get always very irregular ping, between 1ms and 300ms, sometimes near 1 second. And if I try a bandwidth test I get always about 2,5/3 mbit/sec.
I have done these tests with 1 laptop connected to the ethernet port, and 1 laptop connected via wifi. In every case, the problem occurs with any kind of wifi device

I tried to manage almost every option, with no results (always same behaviour). I changed:
- TX power
- laptop distance from the AP
- wpa/wpa2 with tkip/aes
- firmware version (onboard firmware was 5.26, upgraded to 6.22)
- frequency channel
- indoors/dynamic distance
- power on only one access point a time

I haven't changed (because I don't think was a good idea) these other parameters:

- protocol 802.11
- channel width 20MHz

All the rest is set to the default values.

Can anyone help me to find where is the problem? from the web gui and ssh I cannot understand whats going wrong

Kind regards

Alessandro Barisone

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Metal 2SHPN - ping and bandwidth problem

Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Can you make a shematic diagram from your network please?
Also export from your configuration.

rusellbernand
just joined

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:09 am

OK! sometimes it happens while net connected through wifi, there is also the router liable in some cases anyway you another time make DNS look up in ping query. You may do ping at http://www.whoisxy.com/ where i did the same and found out the problem. If you identify the problem another time check with your internet provider.

INGeSI
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:15 pm

I've bought a 5th device and done some tests.

I've configured the device identically to other 4

To investigate the problem I've keep the device disconnected from the network and to ping only the device itself (so at this time no bandwidth tests)

I've tested the device in my office and I've got good results (average ping 1ms).

Then I've done a new test outdoor, in a different location from the installation in the first post, and restart getting very variable ping.
Also there I have powered on the device keeping it disconnected from the network, and tried to ping only the device itself
I get no packet loss at all, but a very variable ping (sometimes 1ms, sometimes 3-400ms). Ping test done in line of sight about 25/30 meters from the device.
You can see the result of the ping test in the screenshot.

In this place there was no strong (visible) networks in the neighborhood, and is about 20 km far from the first place, so I don't think that should be the same interferences here.

I have done the major number of tests with a netbook which his wifi interface works always fine with other access points, and some tests with other laptops and smartphones, always with the same results. All the tests was done at different distances from the access point (from 10 to 100 meters), always with clear line of sight

Seems to be some problem in the RF interface; do there's some tool to investigate what happens in the RF interface? Maybe lot of retransimissions due to noise..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.