Community discussions

MikroTik App

samir494
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Capsmanager

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:14 pm

CCR1072-8S+ support third party access point to configure?
i mean othern then ros hardware

imrankosi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Capsmanager

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:53 pm

no . nv2 is also not supported

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:15 pm

No relation to nv2.

I have read that the capwap protocol is according to some general standard so it should be supporting other vendor devices if they support the same standard also. But I haven't tested it.

Search for capwap.

nuru
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:36 am

No relation to nv2.

I have read that the capwap protocol is according to some general standard so it should be supporting other vendor devices if they support the same standard also. But I haven't tested it.

Search for capwap.
Mikrotik Capsman V1 is based on CAPWAP protocol, but due to certain limitation of CAPWAP, Mikrotik introduced Capsman V2 which is not CAPWAP compliant. I don't think cross compatibility between vendors based on CAPWAP is possible, because the need for each vendor to fully support its own Wifi propriety feature makes it difficult using CAPWAP I guess. CAPWAP also suffers from intellectual property rights (IPR). Thus, any vendor implementing CAPWAP may find itself subject to royalty claims, without the ability to develop a non-infringing alternative compatible solution because of lack of disclosure.

zervan

Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:11 am

So, is it possible to use CAPsMAN (old or new) to manage OpenWRT access points? They should support CAPWAP, at least I think.