MikroTik App

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wifi roaming between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:48 am

Hello,

I am pretty new to Wifi network so please forgive me if that seems stupid to you...

My goal is to set up a network of 5 APs and one router to be able to use the Wifi all over a big house.
I would like to use WDS to get a sort of roaming system.
All APs will be connected to the router with an ethernet cable.

I am planning to buy the new cAP 2n for the internal APs, 2 SXT SA5 for the outdoor APs and a RB2011UiAS-IN for the router.
However, in that setup, i am mixing 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies and i am wondering if that can work to achieve the goal of a roaming wifi system.
I have read that we can use WDS setup (if ethernet) to get a low latency disconnect/reconnect process but i have no idea if clients will accept to switch from a 2.4Ghz SSID network to a 5Ghz SSID network.

If not i will need to choose between a 5Ghz and a 2.4Ghz network i guess.
Then, for a 5Ghz network, my problem would be that APs are mostly outdoors APs and my customer don't want a router style device.
And if a 2.4Ghz network, will the outdoors APs be good enough to cover a big area...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Julien.

Naurislv

Re: Wifi roaming between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:42 pm

Hello!

Still 5ghz is tricky for clients, because there are still much devices out there which doesn't have 5ghz chip in them. If client device is relatively new then 5ghz should suit you great and they will switch from 2.4ghz to 5ghz if signal will be better and APs will have same SSID.

Yes 5ghz would be better because 5ghz channels are less crowded. But note that 2.4ghz will provide better signal through obstacles than 5ghz.

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:10 am

Thanks a lot for your answer.

So if i understand correctly, you are saying that i can mix both band into a single SSID (network)
I just have to make sure that all devices are compatible with 5Ghz (which is the case so far) and then, for example, a device connected on the "My Home" SSID on a 2.4Ghz frequency AP(meaning inside), leaving the inside of the house for the outside will be able to disconnect/reconnect using a new AP broadcasting in 5Ghz without any interaction from the user?
It may take a few seconds but no user action needed? am i right please?
That is my only worry atm.

Thank you.
Julien.

Naurislv

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54 am

If user will have both (2ghz and 5ghz) chips in device, yes there will need no interaction from user. However how good device will roam between APs depends on device itself, some devices roam good selecting best signal, some wait until drop one of signals.

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am

Perfect!

Thank you again!