How to Enable Wifi

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi,

Am new to this wireless area...

I would like to enable wifi on mikrotik. My setup looks like is

1. Have installed Mikrotik OS on a desktop machine
2. Have a D-Link wifi router with me
3. Have a freeradius server installed on another machine

Now I would like to enable wifi service using my D-Link wifi router(which cant authenticate through external RADIUS) and want to enable Hotspot service on Mikrotik(but my desktop is not having any wireless card) and want to authenticate users through freeradius server. Can I make this happen with above components?

I understand the limitations of my Mirktoik machine and Wifi router that what I have in terms of wireless card facility, external server authentication respectively. Please let me know whether can I use this way?

Please also let me know, a CCR1036 router board comes with a wireless card by default?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How to Enable Wifi

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Since the router is a separate device outside the mikrotik device, there is no way you can "enable" or "configure" it inside MikroTik RouterOS. You need a wireless card installed in this x86 machine. You will then not need any external router.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: How to Enable Wifi

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:32 pm

CCR routers do not have wireless, no.

If you don't care about blocking associations to your AP that does not support RADIUS, you can still block access to the network behind the AP with Hotspot and RADIUS together. Put the x86 router immediately behind the AP, enable Hotspot on the interface that the AP is connected to, and configure Hotspot to talk to your FreeRADIUS server. (You said D-Link router, but treat it as an AP: disable DHCP server on the D-Link, and plug it into your x86 RouterOS box on one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port.)

-- Nathan