MikroTik App

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

public wifi in congested areas

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:31 pm

Hello,

what wifi settings do you use or suggest using for a public wifi hotspot (mostly phones, tablets, some notebooks) with about 40 to 50 simultaneous clients on every AP ... I have tried a bunch of different settings but I would like to know what is your preferred config for this kind of situations...

I usually put both HT chains for RX and TX on a dual chain radio,
regulatory-domain for controlling power (sometimes even add antenna gain to reduce power)
wmm support on
dfs mode none
distance dynamic
hw retries 3
hw protection mode: rts cts
adaptive noise imunity: non (i tried ap and client but did not notice any difference)
preamble both

the rest of the settings are factory default ... what would you change/add to maintain low latency and high availability for all users, overall client speed is not important in this case.

tnx on your input.

JF.

rollyboy
just joined

Re: public wifi in congested areas

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:41 am

Hello maybe this could help you. I have tried it and currently handling 35 mobile mixed devices, I am using two dlink 655 as an access point in my RB450G. Follow the link and try...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405996,00.asp

dkalam
just joined

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Does anyone have any tips for the above configuration?

Which are the best settings for a Mikrotik AP in a crowed place, open air space?

Does Adaptive Noise Immunity setting help? Which is the best value for Disconnect Timeout? Hw. Retries value? Distance setting for 80m radius of coverage? Hw. Protection Mode? is cts to self optimal? Enabling WMM Support going to help me to have good speeds?

Any one who have succesfully installed Mikrotik AP in this type of enviroment?

Is multiple SXT 2Ghz configured as APs (with sector 60/60 H/V beamwidth) a good choice to be used in such enviroment?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:45 am

your setup its indoor or outdoor??

what type of antenna are you using??

dkalam
just joined

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:24 am

Outdoor. The area I want to cover has about 120m radius (I am only interested to cover only 180 degrees, and the 3 APs are 12m above ground) but it is very congested in 2.4ghz band because it has a lot of cafes with their own WiFi spots.

Clients are mobile phones and tablets.

Currently we try to cover the area with 3 APs (433 board with R52nm card on it and 2 interline 8dbi sector antennas 60/30 H/V beamwidth each in each chain of the card) running hot spot.

I want also to try to cover the same area with 3 SXT 2Ghz which have 60/60 H/V 10db antenna.

Any suggestions?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:03 pm

i think off course use only 20mhz channels, aim antennas to restrict the area of coverage trying to avoid receiving other neighbor networks interference, and interefering them too because their retransmissions can affect you

i think you need to define some throughput limit for example 10mbit/s in each accesspoint and do simple queue pcq to divide traffic evenly between acesspoint users doing that you avoid radio saturation and congestion at radio level

i think its a good idea to disable some datarates

on basic datarates leave all uncheked

on supported datarates only check 12,24,48 and mcs 1,3,5 9,11,13

with that you can have more stability and persuade clients to stay connected to the proper acesspoint according to client location

iff you have too much interference try disabling datarate 48 and mcs 5 and 13

dkalam
just joined

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:44 pm

Thank you very much for your comments, they were very helpful!

Anyone else with same experience?