MikroTik App

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

cAP 2n

Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:29 am

Hello,

I've just replaced a well know WRT54GL which was working well by a cAP 2n to improve the WIFI coverage of a guesthouse (It was not supporting the 802.11n).

Since then, the WIFI signal started to get quickly weaker and weaker, and after a few hours the router became not responsive and needed to be restarted. It does that almost every 12 hours told me my customer.

The cAP 2n is in crowdy WIFI network environment so I choosed a standard 802.11 b/g/n at 20Mhz with AUTO channel.

As I can't access the router, I can't check the logs so I am stuck...
Can it be a POE issue, WIFI issue or maybe a routerboard issue? Where should I start to look?

Thanks in advance.
Julien.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: cAP 2n

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:37 pm

how are you powering the cAP board?

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:56 am

Hello,

I am powering it with the AC adapter through the POE adapter.

In fact the cAP2n seems unresponsive but I can't make sure as it just does not respond to ping from the Gateway.
However when I was able to keep an ssh session active to monitor the resources (also from the gateway), it seemed that it went fine for a few days...

This Mikrotik AP is connected with other DD-WRT routers (also APs) to create an open Wi-Fi network (not a complicated setup as you can see...)
The internet is managed by an "Antamedia Hotspot" system.

I have to deal with that system and Microsoft Windows as well which drives me mad ;-)

Just out of thoughts, is there any parameters I should set on the Mikrotik cAP2n?
Any incompatibility between RouterOS and Antamedia Hotspot has been noticed so far?

Thanks!
Julien.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:39 pm

with the default configuration it should be working fine.
Please upgrade the cAP to the latest RouterOS version and enable the wireless-fp package.

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Well routerboard and routerOS are up to date.
RouterOS is v6.27 and Routerboard is v3.22

So I guess I will have to switch the board with another one and see if it is working.
Otherwise the problem may comes from the network or the power adaptor.

Thanks anyway for helping!

winet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:13 am

have you solved the problem? i'm about to deploy 17 units of this on a hotel, i need to make sure this thing works 24/7 without any problem.

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:11 am

I've just replaced the falling one with a new one yesterday.

Will let you know in a few days.

winet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:49 am

I've just replaced the falling one with a new one yesterday.

Will let you know in a few days.
thanks

also, could u tell me how big the size of the coverage area? my plan is putting two APs at each floor's corridor for an area of 27,5 meters x 12,5 meters, i hope it is enough, considering hotel's wall are pretty thick.

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:27 am

It looks like the new is working now.

Could it be a software issue which made the first one failing? Does reinstalling RouterOS could help or do I have to use the warranty to replace the failing cAP2n?

Concerning the covering area, it is about 15m long on 10m large, just one floor.
It is an open space area however there are a lot of other Wi-Fi networks which are very close to our network.
I've reduced the width of the frequency to 20Mhz to get a better signal quality.

vmiro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:55 am

have you solved the problem? i'm about to deploy 17 units of this on a hotel, i need to make sure this thing works 24/7 without any problem.
Winet, have you finished your hotel project? If yes, how does the Cap2n APs behaves, are you satisfied?

Thanks