Community discussions

MikroTik App

QuicksilverW
just joined
Topic Author

Metal 9HPN for Point to Point through trees

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm new to the forum, new to Mikrotik, and new to point to point wireless setups so I thought I'd start here for some advice.

I need to setup a point to point wireless connection between my company's main office and a nearby satellite office. This satellite office is about 1,492 feet away (0.456 Km) however there is a patch of trees between the two buildings. As it stands now, with the leaves gone, I can sort of see the office I want to connect to but when spring hits the view will be obstructed. See the Map below:
Map A.jpg
I know that 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz are out of the question so I was wondering what the possibility of making it through the trees with the Metal 9HPN would be. I would likely be pairing it with this antenna on each end: http://www.balticnetworks.com/laird-hd- ... id-nf.html

I need the link to be able to handle 5 thin clients for Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Sessions, 2 printers, and in the future 5-8 VOIP phones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Metal 9HPN for Point to Point through trees

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:56 pm

That should work fine.

I've done much worse with XR9 and 13dBi yagi antennas.

edit: it does depend on your noise floor though.

Here, 900MHz is useless in the city limits. Works fairly well in rural areas though.

QuicksilverW
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:03 am

Thanks for the info. The trees are pretty thick so I wasn't sure if even 900Mhz would work. As for city vs. rural we're pretty rural; it's a small town with about 6,500 people so, hopefully, there won't be much interference.

There is another possibility if anyone wants to chime in - we have another satellite office that's about 500m away that we already connect to with a Proxim Tsunami. This building has a clear line of sight to the new office, however, I'm afraid that I would see network issues if I tried to go from our main office ->wireless->Office A->wireless->Office B.

I appreciate the help as I don't have the budget to buy equipment to test with; this pretty much has to work first time out.

I may be able to talk my boss into getting a site survey - would this be the best route to go?

lcrhea25
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:16 pm

What kind of speeds are you getting through you link? Just wondering before I look into getting some of these for my backhauls.