Community discussions

MikroTik App

nbkkr
just joined
Topic Author

netbox 5 (RB911G-5HPacD-NB) indoor antenna?

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:22 am

Want to get rid of my two asus routers (RT66R,RT66AC) that I have been using as AP and replace them with two netbox 5's (RB911G-5HPacD-NB), which will be end-pointed on my RB850Gx2. Not running any 2.4Ghz in the house as 5Ghz is stable and fast (too much interference on 2.4Ghz)....really the only reason I am ditching the current routers is to standardize on Mikrotik and hopefully no longer having to reboot my AP's on a weekly basis.

Like the Netbox package as it give me a good housing to start out with and I will be hanging it on the wall (matching the white color) with the DIN mount at around 12ft high. Not really needing 802.11AC, but it's only $20 more so might as well....obviously I will be (substantially) lowering the TX output as it's for indoor usage only.

The one thing I am struggling with is the type of antenna's to get the Netbox has SMA as the Mikrotik swivels won't work and there might be better models available...any brand/model recommendations for indoor usage that have a SMA connector and are preferably white colored to again match the Netbox and the wall? The current routers perform well with the standard 3.5dBi antenna's so probably make sense to stick with similar gain, more probably doesn't make sense any ways indoors......

Thanks!!

nbkkr
just joined
Topic Author

Re: netbox 5 (RB911G-5HPacD-NB) indoor antenna?

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Ended up getting two Netbox 5's (RB911G-5HPacD-NB) with 2x an Omni Antenna 5GHz 5dBi each and one Basebox 2 (RB912UAG-2HPnD-OUT) with an Omni Antenna 2.4GHz 4dBi couldn't wait for my post to get approved :lol: Added the Basebox 2 for a separate 2.4Ghz guest network and have the future ability to add a 5Ghz module in case I need some extra coverage in the house. Hoping these antenna's will do the job, please still let me know what other antenna's (brand/model) been successfully used in indoor applications with the Net/Baseboxes?