Community discussions

MikroTik App

Zlapsa
just joined
Topic Author

CAPsMANv2 questions

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:02 am

Hello Mikrotik forum users!

I am integrating CAPsMAN v2 on CCR1009+ with about 50+ Routerboards ( RB912UAG-5HPnD + R11e-2HPnD ) in our enviroment.

After installing and connecting 16 (4 floors) routerboards on student hostel I run into some questions/problems:
1. With about 50-100 live connections there is only 5 clients who is connected to 5Ghz interfaces. And my colleagues with their phones (which support 5Ghz N standart) connects to 2Ghz interfaces, standing next to access point.
If I change 5Ghz SSID to not the same that 2Ghz - it connects fine, but after changing back to same SSID on 5 and 2Ghz - they again prefer to connect to 2Ghz interface.
After some research I just can say that phones see 5Ghz network less powerfull in dBm than they see 2Ghz wireless network. Maybe thats why
Is this normal, or there is some kind of configuration problem?

2. Some of students camplaining about 10 second disconnections several times a day. Is this could be because of APs is allocated in the same IP DHCP Server pool that clients or this kind of configuration not affecting disconnections?
Till yesterday there was no network restrictions (we tried to stress-test network), but after hearing about disconnections I used a lot of torrent blocking firewall rules which I found in forum, and added 15Mbit bandwidth limitations for every wireless client in hotspot server configuration. Could it help eliminate this problem? What can you recommend?

3. For authentication I am using HTTP CHAP + MAC Cookie + Trial in hotspot configuration, but not every authenticated user is showed in Cookie tab. Why? I tought every authenticated user will get saved in cookie tad and after it he (or she) will no longer need to authenticate for whole day, even if he will be roaming or disconnected some time.

4. Is there some kind of "good practice" book about CAPsMAN + Hotspot configuration?

5. Is there some roaming configurations, because our wireless users goes from one floor to another a lot and after some testing I found that roaming is a little bit buggy.

---

My Configuration:
- 4 RouterBoards on every floor
- Every floor has configuration to use channels 1/6/11 (10th floor uses 1st channel, 9th - 6th channel, 8th - 11th channel, 7th - 1st channel and so on..)
- No Security configuration, hotspot enabled with modified login page.
- RADIUS authentication.
- MAC Cookie for 24hours.
- Same SSID for 2Ghz + 5Ghz without VirtualAP`s.
- DHCP pool 192.168.80.0/20
- APs connected to the same bridge and allocated in same DHCP pool, because I couldn`t get VLAN datapath going. Expirienced some problems with DHCP server. Was reading in forum that it can be bug.
- No local forwarding on APs.

I am not professsinal Mikrotik user yet, so do not punch me hard if there is some mistakes :)
Thanks for replies.

jimmyz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CAPsMANv2 questions

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:03 am

Hi, I hope noone is puntching newbies here, or we get a ot of pain :D .

I, as you, try (for first time) a capsman setup with 5 (or later 6) APs. So far I have ready (in the lab yet) the CAPs controlled by CAPsMAN (all v2), the hotspot and now I'm implementing the roaming rules.

A small question, why to use different non overlaping channels (1,6,11) and not to use single universal channel?
Is it better for roaming?

Thanks!

Zlapsa
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CAPsMANv2 questions

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:37 pm

In my case, every AP is located next to others in same and nearby floors, so with this configuration I am trying to minimise interferrence on every floor. Because, if I would use one channel for all of APs, in my tests, I was getting slower constant bandwidth tests for clients.