Community discussions

MikroTik App

soamz
Topic Author

Network Diagram is here, help me decide the Microtik Items

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:53 am

Hi, Im just about to place my order to my Microtik vendor but before I do that, I want to know, if the planning is correct.

See the attached server room map. Thats what my other WISP friend has given me and says, Im good to go with this setup.

But my requirement has gone a bit more now. Im getting 2 fiber links to my office.
So, I need the core router to be able to accept two links through SFP ports and work as auto switch or whatever.
So, lets say, when both the links are active and going good, all XXX customers are online and working.

But if Link 1 is down, then I should not have to do anything, but the core router should switch to link 2 for all XXX customers and keep them going rather than getting them disconnected just because the Link 1 is dead.

So, check my map and please let me know, what Microtik core router and firewall router, I need to replace instead of those 2 listed in the map.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soamz
Topic Author

Re: Network Diagram is here, help me decide the Microtik Items

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:55 am

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:07 am

Why so many devices? What throughput and what number of hotspot customers do you expect? What are the parameters of those two lines? Do not use ros as nas. Do not use CRS as firewall. It is switch.

soamz
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 am

Microtik RB850Gx2 for static routing
Microtik PC as NAS (Network Access Server)
Microtik CRS125-24G-1S-IN as firewall

Thats what he has designed for my server room.

Do you want to recommend something else ?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:07 am

Well. Seems you do not understand your own scheme. Think again about my questions. And let me to give you one more advice. Don't do things you do not know why are you doing them.

I would use just one device for all functions if the requirements are not too high. But you haven't mentioned them even I asked...

soamz
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:44 am

Here is the updated diagram from my network engineer consultant -

http://cl.ly/image/3s3k2d3y073X

And here is our details -
Around 1000-2000 users handling with this server room setup and 50-100 leased line customers.
Our total link band width 45Mbps and our customers max plan are till 4mbps plans.

Once we reach 80% of usage of this 1st link of 45, then we will apply for 155Mbps link.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:20 am

Ok. Better now. I still think that everything can be done by one ros running on one pc, mainly because of shaping so many customers. I don't see any reason for other devices. And again, do not use switch as firewall. Even it would somehow work, it will be bottleneck.

soamz
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:50 am

One Xeon PC for radius server and one PC as Microtik server.

So it's 2 PC.