Community discussions

MikroTik App

n4yeem
Topic Author

Hotspot Solution for local community with some control...

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Hello Everyone

I need some help regarding a hotspot solution that i am planning to provide free of charge to the local community. I am planing to create a wifi zone where individuals can access the internet for free of charge. But i need some control over it as bandwidth cost is an issue and lot of people in my local community are up for anything that's free :shock: :shock: . I would appreciate if someone provide me a solution as mentioned below...

1) I want to setup a kiosk where an individual can print or note down there login credentials via mikrotik usermanager. I am planning to create a simple website/webpage where there will be a only one option which can generate voucher from mikroitk.

2) All voucher will have a validity of one hour and i want to block that user mac for next few hours to enable other users to use our free service. I am capable enough to follow instructions as i use several MikroTik in my network.

3) If voucher system is not possible than can i use one universal id and password with multiple login (up to 50 times). But i need block that user's mac for next few hours to enable other users to use our free service.

4) A pool of bandwidth will be available to them..All i want is when there are small number of users all of them will receive the full bandwidth, the more users connect speed should deviate accordingly.

5) Maximum 50 number are allowed at any one point.

Kindly someone can advice me how to do it as I am planning to establish the wifi zone asap. Thank you in advance.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hotspot Solution for local community with some control...

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Maybe you should experiment with the guest user / trial account feature.
It does a lot of what you want, and the bandwidth constraints will come from properly configured rate limits per user.

It gives self-service free access per MAC address and after the trial period expires, it remembers the MAC address and the user cannot start a second trial period. If you have a script which runs periodically and finds guest accounts that are expired for more than 3hrs, then delete those accounts - this will give exactly the behavior you want.

Use the limit-at value (it's really a minimum guaranteed bandwidth) to guarantee a minimum amount of bandwidth per customer. Make sure that the minimum * maximum number of connected users is less than the total available bandwidth, or esle the feature will not work.