Community discussions

MikroTik App

QuicksilverW
just joined
Topic Author

Maximizing RBSXTG-5HPacD Speeds

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:07 pm

I have an office across the street from our building that I've just linked with two RBSXTG-5HPacD's. I want to make sure that I'm getting the best connection and speeds possible and, as point to point wireless is new territory for me, I was hoping to post some screen shots from Winbox and get some feedback and suggestions from you guys.

The two buildings I'm linking are about 550 feet apart with a direct LOS (the distance marker from Google maps actually starts and stops at the locations that the antennas are installed):
locations.jpg

When I check Winbox my Tx/Rx signal strength is -37/-37 dBm with Transfer Rates of ≈300Mbps and Receive Rates of ≈400Mbps with an SNR of 64db:
wireless tables.jpg
status.jpg
I was under the impression that a signal strength dBm closer to zero was better (e.g. -37 would be better than -87) and that an SNR further from zero was better (e.g. 64db is better than 40db); based on this understanding my numbers looks pretty good. However, as you can see in the 2nd Winbox picture above my Tx/Rx CCQ is around 83/47 % - my understand of this is that those are pretty bad numbers.

I've seen some suggestions that lowering the transmitter power may help but when I tried that it seemed to kill my transfer rates. So my question is what can I do to improve connection quality and, ideally, what kind of Tx/Rx rates should I expect during a bandwidth test.

I've included the information that I've thought was necessary but if you need any other info to provide advice please let me know and I'll do my best to supply it. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Maximizing RBSXTG-5HPacD Speeds

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:53 am

Your Ros too old, upgrade to the latest at first :)

Next, your TX/RX CCQ... try to play with TX on both sites signal level and observe how CCQ is changing.

And the frequency scan is good option before setup a link.

zeeshan002
just joined

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:44 pm

I've included the information that I've thought was necessary but if you need any other info to provide advice please let me know and I'll do my best to supply it. Thanks in advance.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:24 pm

Use freq. between 5400-5500Mhz for best antenna gain.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Start by doing an spectral scan/history to determine an optimum channel selection (i.e. in a zone with the most contiguous free spectrum available).

These commands aren't available with the wireless-fp driver package (needed for AC platforms), so your best bet is to replace the 5HPacD at each end for a regular SXT once and issue
/interface wireless spectral-history range=5ghz 0 
then once you locate the area with most free contiguous frequencies available, say 5400-5500, issue
/interface wireless spectral-history range=5400-5500 0
Screenshots at each end will be very useful for a starting point.

You just need to replace the SXT AC for scanning, putting back the 5HPacD after doing the spectral-history.

Once you have determined the best frequency range you can start setting/tuning your link.

QuicksilverW
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:50 pm

Ok, so I've updated my ROS and there seemed to be an improvement with CCQ hovering on the mid-80's to low-90's (and Tx/Rx of around -55). I've begun playing with the transmit power on each end and they are currently set to 12; however, I'm not seeing a big difference in CCQ over the "default" setting. I can't really replace the AC's with a regular SXT's for a spectral scan as I don't have any to replace them with (and no dept. budget to buy a set just for testing). Checking the traffic tab for the wireless interface I'm getting zero drops and zero errors and a transfer rate that maxes out around 95Mbps. I feel like there's something I'm missing here that's holding back my transfer speeds and connection quality and as PtP wireless is new to me I'm not sure what that is. Thanks for all the suggestions and if you have anymore feel free to share.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:51 pm

Don't you have any non-AC mikrotik radio, or any brand 5GHz radio to do the spectral analysis at each end?

At the very least try a Frequency scan to try to determine how's the spectrum there, the first thing to start with is an optimal channel selection.

kristaps
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:28 pm

choose supperchanel under advanced set scan-list to wide frequencies range like 5000-6000

and do /in wire frequency-monitor number=0

and in wire scan number=0

find best frequencies without inference

QuicksilverW
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 pm

I've been backed up with helpdesk so far this week but I will be coming in early tomorrow to attempt to scan the spectrum. The only 5Ghz device I have is my laptop - will running inSSIDer be sufficient to give me a good idea of the frequencies in use in the area?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Fri May 01, 2015 2:30 pm

Try what kristaps suggested that will be enough to find the best channel/free contiguous area in the spectrum...