Community discussions

MikroTik App

k4fin
just joined
Topic Author

IP camera network with RouterBoard RB433AH + SXT G-5HPacD

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:04 am

Hello,

I am quite new to mikrotik, so any help would be greately appreciated.

We are setting up a wifi 5GHz network for IP cameras. Could you guys please recommend the topology, and settings we should use to have this working.

At this point we try to set up as following
- RB433AH as an AP where each SXT will connect
- each of 9 SXTs will have IP camera
- One SXT will have a recording device, where all the video will be saved

Could you please help or advise with the topology and configuration, afterwards?

Thank you in advace.

troffasky

Re: IP camera network with RouterBoard RB433AH + SXT G-5HPacD

Fri May 01, 2015 11:29 pm

What kind of continuous throughput does each camera require?
How have you selected the equipment if you don't know the topology? :-S

vstman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: IP camera network with RouterBoard RB433AH + SXT G-5HPacD

Tue May 12, 2015 4:41 pm

I'm running a RB2011 with SXTAC wireless ptmp and (16) ip cams off (2) clients. SXTAC's are setup with NV2 settings and handle the load with no problems. Both links run at an average of 25mb or higher depending on motion events. I also run my Dish Hopper/Joey and all internet device on this same network supporting over 80 devices.

Biggest challenge with Mikrotik AC is figuring out which settings work best for your install location. I am lucky to be out in an area where I can run 80mhz channels, you may not be that lucky? Then you have to balance the radio's. I have (2) clients. (1) is very close to AP and the other is not which causes a inbalance in the signals. Not a HUGE issues but you have to play with the power on all to find a nice spot that all agree on.

AC stuff is nice once you get it dialed in. I am always reading the forum for better settings that might improve my links but I feel like I am 95% "there" and the small improvements would not have any effect on my overall link "feel". It runs fast and is very healthy. No issues to date.

Best advice is that you get LOS on all radio's so that balancing is even for all. One radio in a nonlos can play hell on your AP and quality. Run the cable that extra 30ft. if you can :)

Settings? I can send you my backup config for AP and client if you'd like? Then you can adjust as needed.