Community discussions

MikroTik App

antonioff
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Consideration my project- Rain fade 24hd/17ghz backup airfiber5 and ring network alternative with mikrotik

Sat May 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi all,
i would want submit my project for create ring network in mountain scenario.

I need create three ptp.
Site A to site B - distance 11Km
Site B to site C - distance 15Km
Site C to site A - distance 12Km.

It rains 100 days a year with an average of 9,2mm per day and in this place much interference 5ghz because many operators 5ghz.. This create rain fade or fog fade

My idea is use ptp 17ghz alfoplus siae 1gbps or ubiquiti 24hd with in LACP or backup ubiquiti arifiber5 or Mikortik with ac module.

I read attenuation with rain fade for ubiquiti 24: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airFiber- ... cipitation...
My consideration. the criticality in this project is connected to climate and i need for each ptp Throughput min 700-800 mbps full duplex. Other criticality best way to connected airfiber5ghz in lacp or simple backup ?

I use mikortik for managed network in level 3, but alternative mikrotik for backhaul in this scenario?

I would like some for your consideration

troffasky

Re: Consideration my project- Rain fade 24hd/17ghz backup airfiber5 and ring network alternative with mikrotik

Sun May 03, 2015 12:27 pm

The forum ate your link. I get a 404 from that.

antonioff
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Consideration my project- Rain fade 24hd/17ghz backup airfiber5 and ring network alternative with mikrotik

Sun May 03, 2015 1:32 pm

karina

Sat May 09, 2015 2:36 pm

The airfibre24HD are truly outstanding products and I think you would be ok. However, as you say, rain fade could be an issue at those distances so you may need a back up of some type. 5ghz AC may not perform at the speeds you require if the spectrum is very noisy however the airfibre 5 will almost certainly perform better than the Mikrotik equivalent in noisy enviroment. Depends on how much the throughput drops during heavy rain and if the resulting throughput is any worse then the AF5 can deliver in the noisy enviroment. A very difficult scenario. I don't envy you

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi all,
i would want submit my project for create ring network in mountain scenario.

I need create three ptp.
Site A to site B - distance 11Km
Site B to site C - distance 15Km
Site C to site A - distance 12Km.

It rains 100 days a year with an average of 9,2mm per day and in this place much interference 5ghz because many operators 5ghz.. This create rain fade or fog fade

My idea is use ptp 17ghz alfoplus siae 1gbps or ubiquiti 24hd with in LACP or backup ubiquiti arifiber5 or Mikortik with ac module.

I read attenuation with rain fade for ubiquiti 24: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airFiber- ... cipitation...
My consideration. the criticality in this project is connected to climate and i need for each ptp Throughput min 700-800 mbps full duplex. Other criticality best way to connected airfiber5ghz in lacp or simple backup ?

I use mikortik for managed network in level 3, but alternative mikrotik for backhaul in this scenario?

I would like some for your consideration
Dont know what your country regulations allow for tx-power in 17GHz. So it might be better to use 18GHz or lower licensed with higher power (2+0). This depends on what your budget is and the licensing cost in your country.
With your bandwidth requirements you cant go 5GHz. This is true even more when it is congested at your sites. SIAE should do the job.

I see you're in Italy. So forget about 17 and 24 you can't do this links legally. You have to increase power *massive* over allowed level.
Last edited by ste on Sat May 09, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sat May 09, 2015 3:13 pm

The higher the frequency, the greater the loss due to rain. Of course if there's budget for those links, you'd better use other bands than 5Ghz, either Unlicensed or Licensed, it depends on budget and availability requirements.

There are tools that also take rainfall and climate factors into account when calculating the link budget.

I warranty you a AirFiber24 won't pass 700Mbps for a 12km link. The higher the frequency, the less the throughput with distance.

For those bandwidth requirements at 12km, you're better going to the lower frequencies (5GHz, 10GHz) standalone-radios, so that you can compensate rainfall playing with gain/power/frequency. Think about mimosa b5c, btw they have also a very comprehensive link calculator.

Regarding mikrotik, no, there are any products in frequencies higher than 5Ghz.

Using mikrotik for such throughput while theoretically attainable, you'll need to use multiple links with aggregation to reach those bandwidths, probably with NetMetal and mANT, or RB922 and probably higher spec dishes/RF shielding, and very careful placement, a job for someone with a truly hands-on experience in setting wireless links and probably a cumbersome setup.

However If were to test backup link availavility/throughput using mikrotik, I'd go for a JRC32 DUplEX precision parabolic dish with either a NetMetal or a RB922 in a JR250 aluminum enclosure, to exploit AC your only bet is very high directivity, high gain antenna and as much RF shielding as you can get so that each radio "sees" only the other with the less noise possible.
Last edited by pukkita on Sat May 09, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

karina

Sat May 09, 2015 3:25 pm

ah ok i was thinking you were talking aggregate bandwidth. In that case forget my previous post. and forget mikrotik. The Airfibre 24HD is about the only bit of kit I know that will give you the bandwidth you require with a theoretical 2GB aggreagate but as the previous poster said, unlikely at those distances

pacoss

Sun May 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Higher frequencies higher rain fade, so I dont think that AirFiber24 will give you more than 300mbits fd in the best of the cases.

If your antennas are located in heavy loaded towers (dont mind the frequencies used there) you MUST shield the equipment and use parabolic dishes with ring, as intelligently pukkita has advised you. Apart of Jirous ones, you can use the Ubiquiti Rocket 30 with RF armor full shield. If the other p2p tower isn't overloaded, you don't need to do that.

So ... you have a problem :D

If you need high tx/rx speed, you must use wide channels in 5.8 and you can't cause full spectrum usage.
If you use higher frequencies, the rain will probable will kill your throughput and probably will make the links unstables.
If you prefer stable link cause rain, you must choose 3.5 or 5ghz with 20Mhz channels, so you'll get around 50/60mbits max, and it seems not to be enough for you.

Cause the cost of any licensed equipment in 11 or 17Ghz is around 4.000$ each side = 8.000$ easily, my choice probably would be a 3 x 5ghz antenna link in bonded. I'll get 150 mbits with fail-over, enough for my needs.

Im actually testing the new AC technology in both Mikrotik and Ubiquiti and im not getting better results than 11n, in my full spectrum saturated country (110-130 ap's detected in 5ghz scan anywhere).

Lets share with us your final result anyway, field experiences are allways very wellcomed.

Kind regards from Spain.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sun May 10, 2015 12:54 pm

mANT30 with RF shielding would be another dish to consider if cost is a factor: is its a very high directivity antenna, even more than the Ubiquity and Jirous (4 degrees vs 2,5 degrees -3dB beam width on the mANT) but shielding/lobes aren't its strengths.