Community discussions

MikroTik App

fgruner
just joined
Topic Author

Using RB951 as home CPE for my WISP

Mon May 04, 2015 8:30 am

Hello,

I'm considering using RB951 as the home Wifi router for my WISP. I'm considering this because of the PoE to drive my roof modem. I have some questions which I would appreciate feedback on:

1) We are in a section of Mexico where all the construction is concrete. This creates problems for Wifi. It seems with regular wifi routers, the signal can get through one wall, but not two. How good is the wifi on this unit. Do you think that I will be ok with the power and antennas here?

2) We are planning to have lots of wifi hotspot coverage in the neighborhoods where we provide service. I want to have 2 wifi domains active on the device, one for the home user, and the second one as an extension of our wifi hotspot service (along with wifi switching from MikroTek). Is this something that seems possible? Can we retain central management to keep this working? If we have central management, is it possible to have a GUI that lets the home users set their network name and password, but retain control over everything else?

3) If there a better RouterBoard product which would be better for a home CpE. I need PoE for my roof equipment? Is there a better solution with a different router and a PoE injector?

Thanks so much for the help.

Fred