Community discussions

MikroTik App

crhylove
just joined
Topic Author

VAP dhcp issue.

Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm trying to set up a Virtual AP that is not at all related to the local network. Something very much akin to a guest network.

I have it all set up, but any device on the Virtual AP only gets limited connectivity.

If I put the VAP on the bridge with my wan port (ether1), then they work, but other devices on the network start pulling dhcp from the VAP pool, which breaks connectivity in 100 different ways around my network.

What am I missing? Do I have to add the VAP to the bridge and then just somehow filter out the dhcp traffic to eth1? Would that affect my other AP which I DO want to pull dhcp from upstream?

Thanks in advance!

rhY

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VAP dhcp issue.

Fri May 08, 2015 12:28 am

i do that setup using a separate bridge por each vap

example:
bridge1 ports
wlan1
vlan10

bridge 2 ports
wlan2 (vap)
vlan20

bridge 3 ports
wlan3 (vap)
vlan 30

vlan interface using the same Ethernet, works as a trunk (multiple vlan) tho the LAN where vlans are mapped and have their dhcp server for each vlan serving all AP, and good for L2 roaming

if its only 1 ap you can set a ip address to VAP and set dhcp server directly on AP, does not work well for roaming

crhylove
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 12, 2015 7:06 pm

I ended up getting it working without the vLans. I had to leave the srcnat masquerade rule pointed at the bridge, then suddenly everything was working.

If somebody else runs into this, I'd be happy to post screenshots of my config.

Rhy

009hnoor
just joined

Wed May 13, 2015 2:24 pm

vlan interface using the same Ethernet, works as a trunk (multiple vlan) tho the LAN where vlans are mapped and have their dhcp server for each vlan serving all AP, and good for L2 roaming