Community discussions

MikroTik App

hammered
just joined
Topic Author

Connect to WPA2 Enterprise network

Fri May 29, 2015 4:14 am

Hello,

I purchased one SXTG 5HPND-HGR2 with the intention of using it to span a 60 meter gap between my residence and my schools wifi router. I'm new to networking, but can't seem to find any info on how to accomplish this. All I have been able to find is references dating back to 2009 about Mikrotek "adding soon" the ability to connect to WPA2 enterprise. Can this device connect to this network?
ap-info.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Connect to WPA2 Enterprise network

Fri May 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Keep in mind that while your cisco router may be able to receive from the SXT, it may not be able to transmit with enough power for the SXT to receive or "hear" it.

Is that cisco running on a standard channel? have you done a wireless scan on the SXT?

AFAIK mikrotik supports WPA2 enterprise.

hammered
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Well thats good news, at least it might be possible. The SXT can hear the Cisco router, and reports -75dB (almost no noise... -119dB if memory serves). I can connect with a 14dBi (advertised) PremierTek usb antenna that is basically a piece of junk, but I only get 6Mbps symmetric on speed tests, I'm looking for better. Bandwidth on the other side is basically unlimited, so I'd like the best connection possible (I can't test beyond 1Gbps, but it easily maxed that out). Interestingly the STX reports everything as being 20MHz channel width, even when I turned on an a spare Netgear router and set it to 40MHz to test. It's worth noting that -75 was an initial test sitting on a window sill - I'm certain proper mounting / aiming will yield a much stronger signal.

I'm also pretty sure the issue lies in my configuration, as I have never used RouterOS. I can see where I would enter a shared secret to connect to another WPA AP, but can't find anywhere that I would enter a username / password required for WPA2 Enterprise.

hammered
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Actually - forget it.

It took 18 hours for the moderators to "approve" my topic, and apparently this process repeats each post. No way I'm dealing with this nonsense. I just processed the return on Amazon and ordered a Nanobeam AC.

Embarrassing way to run a forum, leads me to believe they have so many unhappy customers they feel the need to screen each and every post. I've never seen anything like it - but I'm going to get as far away from this company as I can.