Community discussions

MikroTik App

harn2412
Topic Author

My Iphone can't get a TX rate better 65Mbps on hAP routers.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:00 pm

I'm a IT staff in a company, and my job's test the new products before my company buy and re-sell them. I have a new hAP routers and made a little test with it.

I have config my wireless with the option like this:
- Bandwidth: 20MHz
- Mode: N only
- Channel 11 (it's the best choice when test with inSSIDer)
- Sercurity with WPA2 +AES.
- Others are default.

After that i test with my laptop, my Iphone 5s with SpeedTest Software. And have a result:
1/ My laptop get down/up are 50Mbps/50Mbps (My internet line's only that).
2/ My Iphone only get down/up are 30Mbps/30Mbps. (My phone can get 50Mbps/50Mbps on other WiFi)

I check in info tab of registried device and see my iphone can't get over 75Mbps/75Mbps when my laptop is 130Mbps/130Mbps.

I don't know why!? I have test many wireless router with this option, I've only get the same bad or good result on both my laptop and my iphone before. It's the first time I see that.

I don't think this is because noise or distance. Because I have research before test, and tried come far and near the router.

Does anyone know something? Please help me. Thank you so much.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: My Iphone can't get a TX rate better 65Mbps on hAP routers.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:10 pm

It could be that iphone doesn't have 2 chains for the wifi. Laptops usually have 2 chains for the wifi. Apple products usually support only 20mhz channel width for 2.4ghz. For 5ghz they support 20/40mhz channel width where you could higher data-rates.

harn2412
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:01 pm

It could be that iphone doesn't have 2 chains for the wifi. Laptops usually have 2 chains for the wifi. Apple products usually support only 20mhz channel width for 2.4ghz. For 5ghz they support 20/40mhz channel width where you could higher data-rates.
Thank for your reply. I dont think this isn't the problem with anten (or chains) on Iphone because I have test with other wifi router (only have 1 or 2 anten on them, eg: Vigor AP, Ubiquiti, LinkSys, TP-Link, ToToLink,...) before, but the Iphone still get more than down/up rate over 30Mbps/30Mbps, don't like on the hAP.
So I guess this happen because hAP see my iphone only support 75Mbps/75Mbps rate, I will borrow more device to test. It's very mysterious, I realy want to know how this can happen.

PS: I'm using RouterOS v 6.29.1.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:59 pm

:lol:

Lupin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 am

try to setup a 20/40Mhz channel, set the rts/cts, distance to indoor, enable the Wireless-fp package.
Update to 6.28 with last firmware

and check again

harn2412
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:10 am

try to setup a 20/40Mhz channel, set the rts/cts, distance to indoor, enable the Wireless-fp package.
Update to 6.28 with last firmware

and check again
Thank you for your answer. I have used the options like you said but it's result is worse than 20MHz (I think it's because noise of others wifi).
I don't see wireless-fp option on my router, and after a little search I think it's wireless-cm2, is it right? If that's it, I have this packet is enabled.
I'm using an RouterOS v6.29.1 with all lasted packages too.

I have checked againt with a longer time and see something fun:

1/ My laptop's Tx/Rx rate will drop to 65Mbps too (Winbox show 65Mbps 20/1S), it's happen randomly, even when I sit next to the router hAP.
2/ My Iphone's have support HT20-7 in signal tab, and I remember with this I have got a real down/up rate over 45Mbps on other router.
3/ The max rate of mobile devices is 65Mbps-20MHz/1S (not 72Mbps on the 1st post, very sorry about this mistake).

So in the end, I guess hAP using inner-anten so the Tx signal's not good enough when send data mobile devices (I test with an other Kindle HD too). Or this is a bug of software made anys have "power save" wireless option can't over 65Mbps/20/1S. Don't know what is happening here. :D

If someone know anything else, please tell me know. Thank you so much.

PS: This's the first time I meet a device what I can vote it's good or bad. But by anyway, I love the funtions of winbox, I can know exactly what happen in the router.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:24 am

Surely it is not a problem of hap design. I have devices with steady 300/300 connection rate to hap lite. You have either misconfigured your devices or interference or too strong signal.

harn2412
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:42 am

Surely it is not a problem of hap design. I have devices with steady 300/300 connection rate to hap lite. You have either misconfigured your devices or interference or too strong signal.
Thank you for your reply.

I don't sure my config is wrong or right. All I made are change the chanel to 11 (recommented by inSSIDer), Bandwidth to 20MHz, mode to "N only", sercurity use WAP2/AES.
After that I connected my devices and speed test. I'm only see what is happening via WinBox tool.
My testing devices is tested againt on other router and I don't see any problem.

If you know what need to change, please tell me.

PS: My Iphone is 5s and use iOS 8.1 buy form USA Verizon. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 15z using Windows 8.1 updated all fix with wireless card Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230 (driver version 15.10.3.2 date 8/22/2013). RouterBoard hAP use OS 6.29.1 ID routerboard 941-2nD.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:37 pm

Don't rely on ssider only. Use spectral scan in addition, you can see things... . Use 20/40 mode too. Also take care not to have too strong signal (minus50-60db) and to have good signal to noise ratio (at least 40db). I don't use iThings at all, but they are widely discussed as not always fully following the wifi standards.

harn2412
Topic Author

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Don't rely on ssider only. Use spectral scan in addition, you can see things... . Use 20/40 mode too. Also take care not to have too strong signal (minus50-60db) and to have good signal to noise ratio (at least 40db). I don't use iThings at all, but they are widely discussed as not always fully following the wifi standards.

I have tried 20/40 mode before, but the result isn't good. The bandwidth show in Winbox tool are: my laptop is 300 Mbps/300Mbps, but my iPhone is still 65Mbps/65Mbps. And the real bandwidth when test with speedtest and download from server is not over 30Mbps on my iPhone. Some time you will get slower bandwidth than using 20MHz (I think it because the conflicted with other WiFi).

And maybe I wrong but as I know, when you want a good signal of wifi, you need:
1/ The noise of other wifi is slow (from -60 to -99).
2/ And the good signal of your wifi (from -20 to -50).
If I'm wrong, please tell me. I really want know more about it.

PS: I'm using the hAP for an apartment of my friend, and will see what are they think aboult it. :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:58 pm

Good noise is below minus 110. 60 is definitely very bad noise. Use spectral scan to see what frequency is the best for you.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:08 pm

The signal should be between -50 and -70 for decent speeds.

Any hotter than that and you'll have issues.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:20 pm

I don't get it.
Your phone is single chain and 20Mhz, so maximum conection rate is 65mbps. What is the problem?

harn2412
Topic Author

Re:

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Thank all of you for the support and information.
Good noise is below minus 110. 60 is definitely very bad noise. Use spectral scan to see what frequency is the best for you.
This is the first time I knew about Spectral tool of Mikrotik, I will learning the way to use it. Thank you for your information.
The signal should be between -50 and -70 for decent speeds.

Any hotter than that and you'll have issues.
I don't really understand your mean? Is it's mean, the too strong signal will made the worse result when speed test? Many thank if you could say it clearly.Or could you show me where to read about it, plz?
I don't get it.
Your phone is single chain and 20Mhz, so maximum conection rate is 65mbps. What is the problem?
Maybe I made you misstake.

My problem is the iphone can't download over 30Mbps (real bandwidth) on hAP, don't like when I use an other WiFi (eg:Vigor AP 810). And my laptop can get the full bandwidth 300/300Mbps on hAP.

So I don't know it's my fault to wrong config on hAP or any thing else.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:09 pm

When connection rate is 65mbps, real data speed is half. So 30mbps is almost half of that.It is weaker than Vigor? I don't understand what "don't like when I use an other WiFi" . Don't use it if you don't like it.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Too strong signal is as bad as too weak signal. Can you enjoy all details in the music when it is too loud?

harn2412
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:42 pm

Too strong signal is as bad as too weak signal. Can you enjoy all details in the music when it is too loud?

A very interesting and easy to understand sample.

Could you tell me it's apply to all device,it isn't? Because I have some Alcon APE and outdoor AP of Ubiquiti with very high Tx power and very high dpi anten. Then if I get near them I will get worse speed rate than far of them?

So I will get the good speed rate when:
1/ The noise is smaller than -90.
2/ The signal is not too high, only between -50 to -60.
Is it right?

And if I have my wifi is channel 1, but have a high noise from channel 6/11, is it still OK?

Thank you so much for your help.
When connection rate is 65mbps, real data speed is half. So 30mbps is almost half of that.It is weaker than Vigor? I don't understand what "don't like when I use an other WiFi" . Don't use it if you don't like it.
I'm very sorry, but I never said anything to complain hAP. Because I alway get a same bad or good result on my laptop and my phone, so when see not the same result on hAP, I'm only want know why?

I know maybe I have wrong config somewhere, so I tried to asked someone could show me that. And if you think it only because my phone then it's ok too. Thank you about that.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:46 am

You got it.

You can try to enable short guard inteval to get 72.2Mbits instead 65Mbits data rate if it is supported by your iphone.
You can enable 20/40HT to get 150Mbits with short guard interval, when supported by your iphone.
These are the maximal physical throughputs with 802.11n using single chain. As your iphone surely does not have 2x2 mimo radio, you cannot have more than that.

I also saw links working with -25dbi signal. But it is useless, consuming too much electricity, heat and making much bigger unnecessary noise for others. Problem is that those too hot links do not normally reach high modulation rates with perfect ccq.

Everything has to be tuned on its place, but around the "normal" values and with respect to law regulation and to others. None is alone in the air.

Everytime use as low power as possible that yet ensures quality link for you. If you would need to go too high, think about it again and make some other action (more directional antennas, more sensitive radios, better pigtails, technology / band change). Better to be in advance before others than just turning the power knob to the right side.

harn2412
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:11 pm

You got it.

You can try to enable short guard inteval to get 72.2Mbits instead 65Mbits data rate if it is supported by your iphone.
You can enable 20/40HT to get 150Mbits with short guard interval, when supported by your iphone.
These are the maximal physical throughputs with 802.11n using single chain. As your iphone surely does not have 2x2 mimo radio, you cannot have more than that.
Thank for your information.

I will test with them after I got hAP from my friend.
I also saw links working with -25dbi signal. But it is useless, consuming too much electricity, heat and making much bigger unnecessary noise for others. Problem is that those too hot links do not normally reach high modulation rates with perfect ccq.

Everything has to be tuned on its place, but around the "normal" values and with respect to law regulation and to others. None is alone in the air.

Everytime use as low power as possible that yet ensures quality link for you. If you would need to go too high, think about it again and make some other action (more directional antennas, more sensitive radios, better pigtails, technology / band change). Better to be in advance before others than just turning the power knob to the right side.
Thank for show me many new options to have a good wifi signal.

So the best way is enhance reception quality, not simple's increase the Tx power what will make more nosie to other wifi.

And I have one more question. If I use WDS or Repeater to increase the range of wifi's signal, the noise of sub-AP affect the main-AP or not? I always wonder about that, because I see them use the same channel.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:57 am

You got it.

Thank for your information.

I will test with them after I got hAP from my friend.

Thank for show me many new options to have a good wifi signal.

So the best way is enhance reception quality, not simple's increase the Tx power what will make more nosie to other wifi.

And I have one more question. If I use WDS or Repeater to increase the range of wifi's signal, the noise of sub-AP affect the main-AP or not? I always wonder about that, because I see them use the same channel.
yes

repeater generate more contention on channel because it uses the same channel, collisions increase and throughput decrease at half of worst

harn2412
Topic Author

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:27 am

yes

repeater generate more contention on channel because it uses the same channel, collisions increase and throughput decrease at half of worst
Thank for your answer.

I have alway wondered about it before. Thank all you so much for your help and information.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 am

If you want to achieve better throughput you should use a device with two independent radios. One as client and other as ap on different frequencies. It is much better than the wds mode. It also costs much more.

harn2412
Topic Author

Re:

Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:14 am

If you want to achieve better throughput you should use a device with two independent radios. One as client and other as ap on different frequencies. It is much better than the wds mode. It also costs much more.
Thank for you reply.

This is a good idea :D I will search on Amazon for some device can run like you said.

And I wonder Mikrotik have any device like that?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 am

Mikrotik has devices where you can add additional radios. Usually those that name is ending with number higher than 1. For example 922 or 433 and many others. Use at least panel antenna for client radio instead omnidirectional antenna.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:55 am

And remember the cable is the best wifi. Use cables everywhere and everytime, even if it is not possible.

harn2412
Topic Author

Re:

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:43 am

Mikrotik has devices where you can add additional radios. Usually those that name is ending with number higher than 1. For example 922 or 433 and many others. Use at least panel antenna for client radio instead omnidirectional antenna.
And remember the cable is the best wifi. Use cables everywhere and everytime, even if it is not possible.
Thank for your reply.

I also like to use cable to connect the devices but some of our customers don't like :D.

Some building don't have wall cable to the place for AP WiFi, and the owers don't want use normal cable because it make the building look ugly (Ex: hotel or resort).

So your idea about use the devices can run 2 radios at the same time will usefull for them.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Ok, it always depends on local situation. Having too much "wirelessly connected remote APs", especially inside the buildings is not so good either. But in case you need one or two such "repeaters", it could be fine. When it will be in some wider area resort with bungallows, it would be better to have 5G client with 2.4G ap in one box on the roof with directional antenna aiming at central point. Essential thing is not to connect normal user devices to that central accesspoint but let them to connect to local small cells only in order not to worsen the central point link quality. And of course the expected speeds and amount of simultaneously connected clients together with their distribution pattern plays important role in network design.
For hotels in one building it is normal that there are some accesspoints on corridors, mainly in the ceiling, and usually there is no problem with running the wires to them.
But as I said, it depends place to place...