Community discussions

MikroTik App

soamz
Topic Author

Hotspot or PPPoE ?

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:26 am

Hi, currently our whole network AP or stations are UBNT devices only.
Only the core router and core switch of MICROTIK, bandwidth manager is Radius Server Based.
We use the Hotspot feature of Microtik for our whole network!

So all the customers get the login screen, they use the credentials and then use the internet.
But lately we have been facing a lot of isues like login screen, or login not happeing or mac getting locked, etc.

I talked to the bandwith manager server people and they said, Hotspot is not recommended for ISPs,
For ISPs, you should use PPPoE only.

So, now I need to know, whether PPPoE is good to go or is there any known issues for PPPoE with ubnt devices.

I need to plan it before I deploy.
So, let me know your views or what you use.

Thanks!

shortcircuitonline
just joined

Re: Hotspot or PPPoE ?

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:18 pm

mostly every is using ppoe in my case i m using also hotspot system and i have almost 3000 users

its seems hotspot system is easy and most fast .

auto login mac user system.
after expire use credit back to buy credit page
auto and traffic shaping manually both with profiles and without
all working
in hotspot less setting to do on clients end

ppoe vs hotspot

i will say hotspot if u now how to align

Hi, currently our whole network AP or stations are UBNT devices only.
Only the core router and core switch of MICROTIK, bandwidth manager is Radius Server Based.
We use the Hotspot feature of Microtik for our whole network!

So all the customers get the login screen, they use the credentials and then use the internet.
But lately we have been facing a lot of isues like login screen, or login not happeing or mac getting locked, etc.

I talked to the bandwith manager server people and they said, Hotspot is not recommended for ISPs,
For ISPs, you should use PPPoE only.

So, now I need to know, whether PPPoE is good to go or is there any known issues for PPPoE with ubnt devices.

I need to plan it before I deploy.
So, let me know your views or what you use.

Thanks!

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Make your life easier, go PPPoE! you can give your clients Public IP's (one or multiple) for example.
It's fast, easy (almost every router knows how to talk PPPoE).. you can use profiles that contains bandwidth limits (also very easy).

You can run multiple PPPoE concentrators on the same network (with multiple Radius servers for redundancy), yes it has some overhead, but we started using hotspot and after connecting our 20th client we moved to PPPoE.. never looked back!

Menno

soamz
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:36 am

Make your life easier, go PPPoE! you can give your clients Public IP's (one or multiple) for example.
It's fast, easy (almost every router knows how to talk PPPoE).. you can use profiles that contains bandwidth limits (also very easy).

You can run multiple PPPoE concentrators on the same network (with multiple Radius servers for redundancy), yes it has some overhead, but we started using hotspot and after connecting our 20th client we moved to PPPoE.. never looked back!

Menno
Okay so you suggest PPPoE then.

One important question!
Can we have hotspot and PPPoE both in the same router ?

Means lets say we have 100 customers who are on hotspot. We dont want to take the pain of changing all of them to PPPoE over one night.

But for the new customers, we want to add them as PPPoE customers, is that possible ?

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Yes, no problem. You can run the PPPoE server on that very same interface as you run the hotspot on.

That is how we migrated our customers as well :D

Have fun!

Menno